Friday, September 20, 2013

Our Lunchbox-Week 3 & 4

I spent all day getting ready for a camping trip that we are going on this weekend.  Some may not call it camping since we will be sleeping in a cabin.  Although it does have a bathroom in it, it doesn't have a kitchen.  That's as close to "roughing it" that you will get from me.  We'll see how this all goes, but I feel like you have to pack up your whole house just to go away for a weekend.  It's a lot of work. 

Anywho, here are two weeks worth of lunches since I must have been uber busy last week to post.   

Madelyn's lunch since she is in a "nut free" school.  Ants on a log with vegan cream cheese.  Carrots with vegan ranch dressing for dipping.  Hummus and TJ's wheat thin crackers (which I switched out for TJ's Triscuit crackers at the last minute when she informed me that she thinks the wheat thins are "yucky.")  Fruit salsa.  I didn't fill the last container since she hasn't been eating all her food.
 
Kaiden got ants on log with peanut butter since his lunch class is not nut free.  He got the fruit salsa with homemade cinnamon sugar whole wheat tortilla chips (recipe below) and a vegan chocolate cupcake with vegan butter cream frosting.  (Madelyn took her cupcake for snack time since there was a classmate celebrating a birthday.  I always send theie treats with them on birthday days)

Both kids got a half of a Trader Joe's cinnamon raisin bagel with vegan cream cheese, carrot sticks with vegan ranch dressing, fruit salad and a homemade vegan chocolate chip cookie (again, Madelyn had her cookie for snack since there was ANOTHER birthday celebration for school)
I have been running low on food this week since I knew I didn't want to make a trip to the grocery store until later in the week so I could stock up on our camping food.  Using what I had on hand I came up with some pretty decent lunches for the week.  At least no complaints from the peanut gallery.
Both got Applegate turkey roll-ups with Organic Valley American cheese (what a treat for them!).  Apple "sandwiches" with peanut butter and granola on the inside, strawberries and blueberries & vegan chocolate pudding
 
This was really a feat since there was NOTHING left in the house to eat.  Thank goodness for frozen dime sized banana pancakes with maple syrup for dipping!  The last of the blueberries from the fridge and a pre-packaged organic applesauce (Madelyn got a squeezy applesauce since she likes those better) and a package of Lucy's vegan/gluten free chocolate chip cookies (I haven't tried these, but both kids say there are really good!)
 

Madelyn stayed for lunch on Friday but Kaiden did not since we wanted to get on the road for camping and his afternoon class ends too late.  So Madelyn got a vegan chocolate zucchini muffin, hummus with grape tomatoes, Persian cucumbers & TJ's tricuits for dipping.  Two Trader Joe's sandwich cookies for dessert.
So there you have it!  Two weeks of lunches down....too many more to count to go.  But, have I mentioned how much I am loving our Laptop Lunchboxes?!  They make packing lunch so much more organized and keep all of the kids lunches, snacks and water bottles neatly in one place!  Love them!

Recipes I used this week:
Fruit salsa and cinnamon tortilla chips-I used this recipe but modified it a bit.  I just used cut up fruit and didn't add any sugar or preserves to the salsa.  It's plenty sweet enough without it and the fruit will give up some juice while it sits so it makes it watery-like.  Just make sure to chop the fruit very small :)  I also used melted vegan butter for the tortilla chips and just brushed it on the whole tortilla then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.  Then I used a pizza cutter to cut into 8 triangles and baked.  Me and hubs LOVED it....the kids weren't overly impressed with the chips but gobbled up the salsa.

Vegan Ranch Dressing-Kaiden LOVES this stuff (as do the rest of us!)

Vegan chocolate cupcake-I got a "wacky cake" recipe from my friend and was blown away at the moistness (totally a word) of it all.  It's been my "go to" recipe for cake/cupcakes.  I make a batch and freeze these so I always have some to send with the kids when there are birthday parties at school.  The history of "wacky cake" is pretty interesting.  Here's the recipe that I use: 1 1/2 c AP flour (I use 1 cup AP flour and 1/2 c WW flour), 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 c sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1T white or cider vinegar, 6T oil, 1 c water.  Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in bowl.  Add sugar.  With your finger poke 3 holes (2 small, 1 big) in the flour.  Pour vanilla in one hole, vinegar in one how and oil in large hole.  Pour water over top and stir together with a fork.  Bake 35-40 min for a 9x9 pan or 15 min for cupcakes.

Vegan butter cream frosting

Vegan chocolate chip cookie-Dreena has mad cooking skills and these cookies are the bomb.  Make sure to follow the directions to a "T" or they will come out hard and dry.  These don't last long in our house.

Vegan chocolate pudding

Vegan chocolate zucchini muffins-I usually make a double batch and freeze these.  Both regular size and mini muffins. 

No comments: