Saturday, December 15, 2012

Butternut Squash & Apple Soup (Veganized!)

 (Come check out our new site, Keepin' it Real, for more recipes and real food information!)

I bought a butternut squash at my last grocery store trip and have been itching to make some butternut squash soup.  I had made it years ago and forgot how easy it really can be.  Especially when you own a Vitamix.  I found a recipe here.  But, of course, I needed to make a few changes to bring it to a "plant powered" status.  So here it goes!  

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash.  About medium size.
2 apples peeled, cored and cubed
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 T minced garlic
1 T butter (find yourself some Earth Balance soy free butter)
1/4 c flour
1/4 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup broth (original recipe calls for chicken broth, but I subbed veggie broth)
*I added a dash of cinnamon and about a 1" pc of ginger

Steam the squash and apples until soft.  I think mine took about 15-20 minutes




While the squash is steaming saute the garlic and onions in the butter.  I didn't have onions so I just sauteed the garlic and added it to the other ingredients in the blender.  Blend for 3-4 minutes or until thicker.


Add the steamed squash and apples and blend again for about 1 minute or so or until creamy.  



Serve immediately  or put back on the stove top to heat through for later.  Will also freeze really well.  


It was a really easy recipe and pretty yummy!  Serve with a side salad and enjoy yourself a plant powered meal!

No comments: