Thursday, August 30, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Milkshake (with spinach!)



(Come see our new site, Keepin' it Real, for new recipes and information about real food.)
 
This week hubs and I did 2 Cross fit workouts in our garage.  When I tell you they kicked our butts, I am seriously not exaggerating.  They are insane.  We found the workouts here.  Y'all.  That girl is nuts.  We did her ZWOW #1 this morning and my arms are still barely usable.  I hope I can move tomorrow.  

Anyways, I have found myself extremely hungry today.  Probably because I burned so many calories in that crazy workout.  I drank a beet juice this morning after our workout and had overnight oats for breakfast. For lunch I had Manna bread with almond butter along with sliced veggies and apples with hummus as well as a tofu cinnamon/honey dip I made yesterday.  When we came home from an outing I was famished so I decided to make a huge salad full of nuts, avocados, tomatoes, peppers, seeds and anything else I could throw in.  It was so good.  Just what I was craving.  About an hour later I was in the mood for something chocolaty without totally ruining my workout this morning.  So I made a milkshake!  

Ingredients:
2 frozen bananas
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (but any non-dairy milk will do)
1 heaping tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
10 drops of stevia
Handful of cashews
Handful of spinach

Other add ins you could use: Flax, hemp seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes, raw cocoa nibs...be creative! 

Blend in Vitamix until smooth!  Enjoy!

As many of you know, I add spinach to pretty much all smoothies that I make.  It's a green that you can't even taste so I feel extra good getting some more greens in our diet while still eating yummy smoothies and milkshakes!  

Since become a (mostly) plant-strong vegan this year I love that I can find yummy treats that won't camp out on my hips.  I love that I can eat practically anything (plant based) that I want and I still feel like I have so much energy!  I love that my kids are becoming healthy along with us.  And I love that we are not falling victims to the SAD (Standard American Diet)!!

Go ahead, have a milkshake and don't feel guilty about it!

1 comment:

Mee'ma said...

52 mfundan
you can make these for me anytime, honey! YUM