Monday, August 20, 2012

Trip to the Boonies

All slackers raise your hands!  (shamefully raising hand)

It's been sweet forever since I have been on a regular posting schedule and, well, now that school is going to be starting again and I will have an abundance of time on my hands (insert sarcasm here) I want to get caught up on posts before the memories slowly slip my mind and enter the great abyss to never be remembered again.  I don't care what anyone says, "mommy brain" is totally a disease.

I digress.  

Back in July we took a road trip to North Carolina to visit my brother-in-law at his new (well, he's been there 2 years by now) farm out in the boonies.  He's got 50 acres of land with a barn, gardens, stream, tennis court and nothing close other than Boone, NC that's a good 30 minutes away.  He is really into sustainable living and working to make his farm a place that he can "live off the land" if needed.  It was great.  We had a blast.  Getting to ride the ATV's, skipping stones in the stream, playing the PlayStation, picking dinner out of the garden, playing ping pong, tubing, campfires, fireworks and lots of time talking.  Back to the days when TV wasn't available 24/7.  

We made the 2 day journey by car stopping halfway in Harrisonburg, VA.  It took us 6 hours to get halfway (there were lots of bathroom breaks and a lunch break).  The final 1.5 hours of the trip took us on the back roads of NC that were constantly winding this way and that.  But we got there in one peice.  All in all, the kids did great and were fine in the car for the entire trip.  

Kamran (my BIL) has two large pools of talapia in which he raises to help support his Aquaponics system.  It's all very interesting to learn about. The talapia were starting to get too abundant so he did harvest about 40 of them while we were there.  I'll save you the gory pictures, but at least I got to see fish being harvesting once in my lifetime.  
Feeding the fish
 There are 2 ATV's which we took out a few times on the property during our visit.  The kids LOVED them (and the adults had fun too!)
No fear from my little princess!
The boys out for a quick spin

Using the new sling shots down at the stream
The ping pong table was one favorite past time when trying to come up with things to do.  I don't know if the kids were a help or hindrance during this game of pong.
 Most nights we sat outside and talked.  This night we built a campfire to roast some marshmallows.

My brave girl doing sparklers for the first time.  Kaiden (in the background) wanted  nothing to do with it!

Mommy helping to roast marshmallows.  Mmmmm!
 The girls played many games of "Just Dance" on the PlayStation.  But, we even got the guys in on the action.
Hubs and his bro battling it out on the dance floor.
 My BIL has two gardens on his farm where we got a bunch of food for dinner many nights.  This day we were all out helping to pick some food.  Everyone has to pitch in and work on the farm!
Picking potatoes
Also got some squash, garlic, lettuce, herbs, tomatoes, and much more!  All organic and super yummy!
While this city dweller can't imagine living there full time (I mean, what's a girl to do without a Target close by?!?!?!) I enjoyed living the week without the hustle and bustle of "normal" life.  We look forward to our next trip to see them!

No comments: