Friday, August 31, 2012

Recipes I've Been Making

Sunday I got a day off.  And it was just what I needed to spend my day in the kitchen preparing batches of staples.  Ya see, I have been hearing a lot of complaints lately that there's nothing in the house to eat.  I like to have batches of staples made ahead for snack times or quick breakfast options but I just haven't had the time to get our supplies up to par again.  So, I spent most of the day getting some stuff made up to freeze.  All are vegan and all are delish!

Here's some of the items that I made:
Vegan pumpkin muffins.  I made a double batch of these to freeze.  I made some muffins and 3 small loaves.  For reals people.  These are so delish that you will never miss the eggs, dairy and crap that comes along with it!  *Note-I use 1/2 cup honey instead of the 1 c sugar the recipe calls for and it is plenty sweet enough for us.  Enjoy!

Forever Cookies.  Y'all.  These are amazing.  And, seriously, I could just sit and eat them forever cause there aint a lick of bad stuff in them.  The recipe calls for 4 dates and 4 prunes but I didn't have any prunes so I just used 8 dates and they are still every bit as scrumptious.  (these can be frozen) Mmmm...

"Lara balls."  We eat a lot of Larabars around here but, when I have the time, I like to make my own.  They are actually more tasty and, of course, less expensive to do so and they are super simple.  Give it a try.  Just take a bunch of pitted dates, a handful of nuts (I use some almonds, cashews and walnuts), a tablespoon of cocoa powder  and a splash of vanilla.  Put it all in a food processor and process until nuts are broken up.  Then spoon some out and form into balls.  Keep refrigerated.  You can also add some nut butter while processing as well or throw in some chocolate chips at the end.  Possibilities are endless.

Juice.  I have found that I need to make my juices the night before if we want to consistently have juice in the mornings.  It's just too crazy and time consuming in the morning.  I made a beet, carrot, apple, pear, ginger, spinach, cucumber juice for today.  So good.

5 ingredient granola bars.  I made these with 1 c crunchy peanut butter and omitted the peanuts called for in the recipe.  I also use honey instead of the rice syrup.  Oh, and I add vegan chocolate chips and flax.  Pretty delish.  I freeze these as well to have on hand.

Make ahead oatmeal smoothies.  I found this recipe on Pintrest awhile ago and love it.  I made 6 pineapple ones and 6 strawberry/banana ones.  These freeze beautifully and make for a great go to healthy snack.  My kids LOVE them!

Peaches.  We went peach picking last week and I had a huge amount of peaches.  I peeled and sliced close to 30 peaches and froze them.  I did this last year and we were able to have peaches all winter long.  I love having frozen peaches to make peach sorbet.  Soooo yummy!

PB&J Sushi rolls.  I made these for the kids today for a fun twist on the boring 'old pb&j.  They loved them!

Pretty much every week I try a new recipe.  Or two.  Or three.  Yes, I spend a lot of time in my kitchen!  Some of the recipes I tried this week are:

Veggie Sushi rolls.  Many years ago, when we were on our raw vegan food kick, I attempted sushi rolls and failed miserably.  They were so awful that I swore off making them again.  I think it was because they were just veggies, no rice.  And I used horseradish.  If you ever ate raw horseradish then you would know why we weren't doing cartwheels over them.  But I decided to give it another try and watched this video to learn how to make real sushi.  I used 1 cup of sushi rice, 1 1/2 cups water.  Added some salt to the water and simmered until done about 20 minutes.  Then I mixed up 2T rice vinegar and a little less than 1T of sugar and poured it over the cooled rice.  Follow directions in the video of how to roll and voila!  So yummy!  My kids were less than thrilled and wouldn't even try the cucumber ones I made for them.  I believe it's because the nori was visible.  So, next time I am going to try to make them more of a California roll style with the rice on the outside for them.

Oatmilk, fig & grape smoothie.  Of course I doctored this up and added some spinach and flax and a few frozen banana slices.  I really liked it.  Hubs liked it too as well as Madelyn.  Kaiden said it was too "spicy" for him.  I think he was referring to the cinnamon.  But, it's definitely one that I will make again.

Peanut Butter & Jelly, Banana (and some vegan chocolate chips) panini.  I have this old George Foreman grill that I recently wanted to sell in our recent garage sale.  Thank goodness nobody bought it cause I have been making panini sandwiches.  I decided to make one with PB&J for a fun new twist.  It was great!

Vegan chocolate milkshake.  I just made this yesterday and I'm in love with it.  I think I might make it again for dessert tonight.  Mmmmm!

So there you have it.  Who said cooking without animal products isn't yummy?  If anything I have been having more fun in the kitchen making things that taste good and are good for us!

Happy Friday!

No comments: