Monday, August 6, 2012

Juice Fast Day 1


I must be crazy.

Hubs and I are embarking on a juice fast.  Originally I thought I'd like to tackle a week long fast.  After today I think it's highly unlikely to even last another day.  I'm hungry.  And tired.  And miserable.

Ever since we watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (free on Hulu-go watch now!) back in December we have wanted to do a juice fast to detox our systems.  We got our Omega juicer in June and LOVE it so we were all geared up for a fast.  I tried it back in June and lasted 6 hours before caving into a delightful hummus dip and pita chips at 3:00 in the afternoon.  Fail.  Hubs tried it last week lasting 3 days juicing all day long and just eating a raw dinner such as a large salad.  Good on him!  But, in order to support each other and make it longer than a couple hours, we decided to try this fast together.  I fear I am weak.  I fear more failure ahead.

I am going to try and blog my progress this week and record the recipes that we are using and my moods throughout the week.  Here goes nothing.

Juices for today:
Upon waking I had a 16 oz water with lemon.  My intentions are to slowly add the Cayenne pepper to it, but baby steps people.  Baby steps.
Breakfast:
Lemon-Lime Juice (18 oz)
1 lemon (I used 1/2 lemon)
1 lime (I used 1/2 lime)
2 pears (I used 1)
2 green apples (I used 1 gala apple)
2 carrots
1 piece of ginger
2 cups purple cabbage (I omitted this and subbed some pineapple and added one beet)
This juice was yum-o!  It was just what I needed to start off our juice fast.  I made hubs a tomato, jalapeno pepper, carrot, celery, parsley number but no.  My taste buds aren't having it.  I'm not a "V-8" fan and don't think I could stomach a juice such as that.

Lunch:
I was feeling really hungry, so I opted to make a green smoothie instead of juice.  I thought it would keep me full longer (I'm making the rules up as I go ya see).  So I made a Glowing Green Smoothie (16 oz)  I often make these and freeze them in glass jars.  They taste yummy and it's easier when I don't have the time to spend in the kitchen, I just get one out the night before to thaw.  It made enough for the two of us to each have 16 oz and a little left over.  Unlike juice, this can be made and kept in the fridge for a few days since the fiber is still in tact.  It was delish.  The key to this is using a really ripe banana to give it some sweetness.  This is a good one for your healthy recipe box.

Mid afternoon snack:
Classic Green Juice (aka "Mean Green") 16 oz (I doubled it to make enough for hubs and I)
This juice is the signature juice Joe makes in the documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead."  Mmmm :)
1 bunch of kale (I use lacinato)
4 stalks of celery
1 cucumber
2 granny smith apples (I think today I used pink lady and a pear)
1/2 lemon
1 inch ginger root

Dinner
We still have some items in the fridge that need to be eaten.  So I made a portabella mushroom, eggplant, spinach, goat cheese and hummus sandwich.  Remember, I'm making the rules up as I go here.  It's just what I needed after my first long day of juicing.  I think this will help me make it through the night so that I can tackle day 2.

Summary of the day:
My mood was up and down all day long.  I felt really great in the morning after my juice.  Right around lunch time I was starting to get anxious and really hungry.  The smoothie helped but not as much as I thought it would.  It was especially hard to make the left over pizza for lunch for the kids.  Oh, I almost caved!  But I put the kids down for quiet time at 1:00 and took a shower and after that I felt pretty good until later in the day.  My dad (thankfully) took the kids for the afternoon/dinner time for a swim and I am so glad to have had a quiet afternoon to myself.  My mind was in a complete fog the rest of the afternoon.  I, admittedly, felt a little scared for myself out on the roads driving as it was almost like I couldn't concentrate very long at all.  My mind was all over the place.

The other thing I noticed was that I had a white film on my tongue.  I read that this is a common symptom of detoxing.  All the little toxins making their way exit any way they can.  

I found it really hard to remember not to eat.  As I was making breakfast this morning for the kids I was cutting up a bunch of fruit and "accidentally" stuck a cherry in my mouth without thinking.  Totally out of habit.  I almost did it again later when I was making the kids yogurt with bananas and sprinkling crushed up graham crackers on top.

So, all in all, I would say that day 1 went just ok.  I expected it to be hard and it was.  I expect day 2 to be a little easier and hopefully after day 3 I will turn a corner as most say they do.  I am still excited to continue this juicing journey.  Sit back, relax and grab your favorite green juice and come along for the ride!

No comments: