Friday, April 6, 2012

Mega Salad Recipe


You may have noticed in my recent meal plans that I mention that I have a "mega salad" quite frequently.  I wanted to give you the low down on this salad, cause I'm kind of addicted to it right now.  It's a recipe that a friends of ours from AZ always had on hand.  Whenever we visited them, they always offered us a bagful to take home with us.  It's so good and super healthy for you.  Mmmmmm. 

I usually take time once or twice a week to wash and chop up a big bowl full to keep in the refrigerator.  I make the basic greens then add to it when I spoon it out for a meal.  I'm not gonna lie, it does take me about an hour to wash and chop everything up.  But I chop it in super small bites because I like to eat it with a spoon.  Call me weird.  Just not to my face.

So the basic recipe is as follows (pictured above): 
Organic spinach
Organic romaine
Organic kale (any variety will do)
Organic collards
Shredded carrots
Red cabbage
Organic broccoli flowerettes
Pea shoots (or any other kind of sprout)
*Wash and chop them all up and store in an air tight container in the fridge.

Add-ins:
Organic bell peppers
Organic grape tomatoes
Raisins
Organic quinoa (make a batch of this in the beginning of the week and use to throw in everything from yogurt, oatmeal, salads, stuffing for stuffed peppers/mushrooms, etc.)
Slivered almonds
Avocado
*throw them all on and mix it up.

I typically make a dressing from Jaime Oliver that I love to go with it.  It's a really light & refreshing spring dressing! 

Pile this salad high in your bowl with all the add ins for a really hearty meal or use it as a side salad with a great bowl of soup!  Enjoy!

No comments: