Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Food Films

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  I'm very obsessed passionate about food, where it comes from, how we can eat better to save ourselves from disease and what crap the government has allowed to be added to food.  Or should I say the "food-like substances" that line our grocery store shelves. 

It all started back when I was in high school, I guess.  I remember seeing girls developing so early and thinking that there has to be something different going on to bring such dramatic changes in girls so young.  I remember hearing that they were adding growth hormones and antibiotics to meats and dairy and it clicked.  That HAD to be some of the reason. 

I went through college drinking beer and consuming massive amounts of food that I had no business eating.  But, hey, I was in college and what are you gonna do?  It probably wasn't until I met my husband that I began to really think about food again and really start researching what was going on.  Once I became pregnant and had Kaiden that's when I really dove into watching what we were eating.  About 2 years ago I watched Food, Inc. and that was it.  It changed me forever.  Now I can't turn a blind eye.  In the words of Robyn O'Brien, "I can't unlearn all that I have learned up to this point."  It often consumes me. 

I'll step off my soap box now.  But, if you are interested in looking into the subject more, there are plenty of books and documentaries on the subject.  Here are a few that I have watched that are worth a look:

*Food, Inc.-This is the MUST see movie on the subject.  Start here and see how you feel about food after watching.  I go back every once and awhile to re-watch it.  It reminds me why I feed my family the way I do. 
*Forks Over Knives-Great flick connecting the consumption of animal products with different diseases.  Although I haven't gone completely vegan/vegetarian (as I do believe everything is okay in moderation) I have held firm to my 80% rule.  Including animal products in my diet only about 20% (or less) of the time.  It's not as hard as it may seem!
*Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead-Great, great flick on reversing disease with diet.  Joe does a juice fast for 60 days and it's remarkable to see the changes he goes through. Watch for free on Hulu.
*Hungry for Change-You can watch this for free right now until March 31 on their site.  Go here to register to watch.  Great flick about the affects of different food items on your health.  Go watch.  Now.
Two Angry Moms-Watch two mom's take on the horrendous school lunch program.  Watch for free on Snagfilms.com
Supersize me-An oldy but a goody.  Morgan eats McDonald's for 30 days.  Exclusively.  It's gross what happens to his health.  Just gross.  Watch for free on Snagfilms.com
King Corn-Two guys set out to see where our corn comes from, how it is subsidized by the government and a look into Monsonto's monopoly on corn. 
Chow Down-How food is linked to diseases like heart disease, diabetes and cancer and how it can be reversed just by changing our diets.  Free on Hulu.
*Tapped-A look into the bottled water industry and it's effect on the environment and health.  Free on Hulu
Processed People-Free on Vimeo
Earthlings-This movie looks at all animals that are used for food, entertainment, clothing, etc. and the industry's perception of them being "disposable" instead of treating them as God's beautiful creatures that should be respected.  It's narrated by Joaquin Phoenix who is a vegan.  This one is VERY graphic.  You have been warned. I think I watched this free on You Tube.
Food Matters-Free on Vimeo
The Future of Food-All about GMO food and Monsanto taking over the world.  Free on Hulu or Snagfilms
*Dying to Have Known-A look into Dr. Max Gerson's treatment for diseases (specifically cancer) and how we can cure them with diet.  Free on Snagfilms
*The Gerson Miracle-Another look into Max Gerson's diet related cures of major disease including cancer.  Free on Snagfilms.

So there you have it!  Enjoy!

*denotes some of my favorites and would consider these to be MUST sees!

1 comment:

Michele B. said...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101719799

Don't know if the link will work, The FDA virtually erased 1 million signatures and comments on the ‘Just Label It’ campaign calling for the labeling of genetically modified foods. It makes me so mad!!!