Saturday, January 28, 2012

Monster Juice

In December hubs and I watched the movie "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" (you can watch this movie for free on Hulu).  A great movie about a man that was inflicted with a debilitating auto-immune disease causing him to take medications daily to control it.  He was also about 100 pounds overweight.  He decided to go on a 60 day juice fast to cleanse his body and try to get off his meds.  Long story short, 6 months after he did his juice fast, started eating a plant based diet and started exercising he was in great shape and OFF ALL MEDICATIONS.  Astounding!  Anyways, I wanted to start to incorporate some juicing into our diets (and my kids diets) to obtain more nutrition.  Did you know that one 16 oz freshly squeezed juice is like eating 5 pounds of produce?!?!? 

I have started juicing in my vitamix and straining the pulp through a nut milk bag.  It's working okay for me now.  I can definitely see the benefits of owning a true juicer for the convenience of extracting the juice and clean up so we will have to look into that in the future.  But every morning I have been making a green juice which I like to call "monster juice."  And guess what, my kids even drink it!!!  I do add a little splash of store bought organic apple juice to it for the kids, but I have slowly been adding less and less.  Today they even took a swig of it straight, so I guess they are adjusting to the taste.

Let me tell you, my friends, this stuff is soooo much better than a coffee in the morning.  Talk about an energy kick!!  I actually look forward to drinking my monster juice first thing and if I don't have time to make it can tell a difference in my energy level.  I've lost some weight which is probably a combo of completely changing our diets to cut out ALL processed foods (at least while at home) and working out regularly.  It's amazing!

There are many "green" juice recipes on the Internet.  Some have you make a smoothie of sorts where you don't strain the pulp which is fine, but I prefer to just drink the juice.  So here is my monster juice recipe that I incorporated from Joe's recipe and some others that I found.

2 stalks organic celery
1 organic apple (any variety-Take out the seeds!)
1 organic pear (or 2 apples if you don't have pears-Seeded)
1/4 piece of organic cucumber
2-3 leaves of organic romaine lettuce
Handful of organic kale
Handful of organic spinach
Small piece of fresh, organic ginger, peeled
Juice of 1/4 organic lemon
1 cup water

(Cut out one stalk of celery and a pc of fruit for a single serving)

Blend in your vitamix on HIGH and strain through a nut milk bag.  Enjoy and watch your energy soar!
Feel free to sub out other greens but make sure it's mostly comprised of veggies rather than fruits.  Spinach is one of those greens that doesn't give off a heavy "greens" taste like kale, so pile on the spinach.  I have used other greens like collard greens.  I also have heard parsley has AMAZING health benefits for you and that is good to add to your monster juice too.  The apple and pear are good fruits to add to "cut" the green taste. 

Stay tuned for more of my juice recipes which include carrots, oranges, pineapple and even beets!

2 comments:

Allison said...

Are you removing the apple seeds? You should, if you aren't. I didn't catch, if you said you did or did not prior to blending/juicing.

Gia said...

Hmmm...that is one BRIGHT green drink...