Sunday, March 13, 2011

Homemade Dishwashing Detergent

About three or four months ago a group of ladies from my mom's group got together to make some homemade cleaners. I already use a homemade glass cleaner and all-purpose cleaner so I focused on making a homemade dishwasher detergent. I also recently saw this recipe on Money Saving Mom's site so it must be a pretty common one. I have been using it for about two months now and it seems to work pretty well. The one drawback I have found is that your dishes really need to be almost cleaned of all residue before you put them in the dishwasher. But, knowing that I am using greener ingredients and saving a bunch of money since the ingredients will last me forever I don't mind doing a little leg work before putting them in the dishwasher. Give it a try!
Ingredients:
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 c Washing Soda
1/4 cup Citric Acid (found on Amazon or at a local beer brewing supply store) OR 10-15 packets of unsweetened lemon kool-aid
1/4 cup Kosher Salt
Mix all together and store in a container. I use an old 32 oz yogurt container. *Note* the ingredients will clump together (even getting extremely hard). The next day after you make it you will need to take a butter knife and chop into it to break it up. It clumps together because of the citric acid.
I write the ingredients on the container to make it easier to make the next batch. It beats looking through papers and trying to find it next time you need it.
This is what it looks like after you chop it up. Use 1T in your cycle and put vinegar in the rinse compartment.

No comments: