Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Top 10 Reasons Why I Love Being a Mom

Being a mom is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I know it's so cliche, but it's so true. Most days I feel like a failure and wonder if I have done anything right. Often my patience runs thin, my house is a mess and I look like I have been hit by a truck from lack of sleep. I repeat myself a million times, kiss countless "owies," and break-up multiple battles between toddlers.

Just a couple days ago my children were OUT. OF. CONTROL. The day seemed to drag on as I dealt with numerous melt downs, time outs, uncontrolled emotions, fighting and clinginess that all made me want to crawl in a hole and hibernate 'til next winter. It was by far the worst day that I had faced being a mommy to two kiddos. I was emotionally and physically exhausted even before nap time hit and wondered if I would make it through the rest of the day. It's days like that which I find myself needing a reminder that I love being a mom. I really do love it.

I have a folder on my computer which I titled "reality check." I often go to the folder and look at the posts that I have stashed away in there (this post and this post are my favorites). Just for for days like I had this week. It's a reminder that one day I will miss it. All of it. My kids will be grown, they won't want to snuggle with me, they won't want to sit in my lap and read stories, they won't want to hold my hand while walking across the street. I'll miss it. Both the good days and the bad days. I try and savor it all.

As another reminder to myself, here's my top 10 reason's why I love being a mom:
  1. No matter how ugly you feel, they will always tell you you're pretty.
  2. Little snuggles and kisses.
  3. They bring simple innocence to a world full of craziness.
  4. They keep me laughing.
  5. Acting silly is okay. In fact, it's part of the job description.
  6. Unexpected flowers, gifts and hugs.
  7. Seeing all our hard work pay off when they love each other, give a helping hand to each other, share toys with their sibling, say "please" & "thank you" to total strangers, or tell the other "it's okay" when they fall down.
  8. Being able to watch my husband be an amazing father.
  9. My life suddenly has purpose.
  10. They make me want to be a better person.

I love being a mom.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Plain & simple but beautifully expressed T-love! Don't ever
doubt your performance as a Mom.
Your job is the only one of it's kind....and you WILL undoubtedly make a difference in the lives of Kaiden & Madelyn...

and for the record....I DO miss those things you mentioned!!!!!!!

tanya said...

Well said. I am right there with ya! :) Good idea to keep that reality check file.