Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Kids Christmas Craft Day

Did you know that today is December 1st?!?!? I know! Hard to believe. So I thought it would be fun to kick off our 25 days until Christmas with a kids craft day in which I hosted at my house with a few mamas from my mom's group.

The kids had a blast! We made a Christmas Advent Chain, a clothespin Reindeer and a little foam ornament. Even if most of the crafts were eventually completed by the mamas, I think they will all have something to add to their Christmas tree and look back on it for years to come.

Miss Maddey very intently checking out her craft bag

Kaiden gluing his Christmas Advent chain together

Look Mommy at my advent chain!

Each kid got a different foam ornament to glue together and hang on their tree. (a Dollar Store find!)

My favorite: Reindeer Clothespin craft
(see below for a "how to")


Materials for the clothespin reindeer craft:
-3 Flat, old-fashioned clothespins (I found these at Michaels, but I believe you can find them at Wal-mart and such stores like that)
-Ribbon. One color used to make a loop so it will hang on your tree and one color for the neck (the one at the neck needs to be very thin so you can thread the bell through it).
-Googly eyes
-Small bell for around neck (found at Michael's)
-Red pom-pom for nose (found at Michael's)
-White pom-pom for tail (found at Michael's)
-Brown felt.
-Glue (Elmer's school glue works okay but it takes awhile to dry. A hot glue gun works best-especially for the pom-poms which will only stay on with hot glue).

Directions:
-Loop one color ribbon in a loop and glue between two clothespins to form the body.
-Glue one clothespin upside down onto the body to form the head and antlers.
-Glue on googly eyes, and red pom nose.
-Cut out tear drop shaped ears from the felt and glue on.
-Glue white pom on the bum of the reindeer.
-Tie ribbon around neck with bell (I hot glued it to the neck for added reinforcement).

The Christmas countdown has begun! It'll be here before we know it!

No comments: