We struggle to get our kids to eat their vegetables. Shocking. I know. So I have aspired to find better ways to "encourage" healthy eating. Last week I was searching out some recipes online and came across a pot pie recipe. I have never actually made a pot pie (but always wanted to) and remembered seeing an episode of "Take Home Chef" many moons ago where he made individual pot pies for a group of kids and moms. I have a few Ramekins stowed away in the back of my cabinets so thought I give it a go.
I used this recipe as my guide since I didn't want to spend all day in my kitchen but made some adjustments.
- Can of condensed Cream of Potato soup (or Cream of Mushroom would work too)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- pinches of dried parsley and basil
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper (this was actually too much pepper...I would probably cut it down to 1/4 tsp next time)
- prepared pie crusts (I only used one and divided it into quarters for the pie topping
- Veggies. I sauteed a bunch of what I had on hand and threw in some frozen veggies as well.
- Chicken *optional* I kept mine just veggies but threw in some cooked organic chicken cubes in the kids and hubs' pies.