Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Veggie Pot Pies


We struggle to get our kids to eat their vegetables. Shocking. I know. So I have aspired to find better ways to "encourage" healthy eating. Last week I was searching out some recipes online and came across a pot pie recipe. I have never actually made a pot pie (but always wanted to) and remembered seeing an episode of "Take Home Chef" many moons ago where he made individual pot pies for a group of kids and moms. I have a few Ramekins stowed away in the back of my cabinets so thought I give it a go.

I used this recipe as my guide since I didn't want to spend all day in my kitchen but made some adjustments.
  • Can of condensed Cream of Potato soup (or Cream of Mushroom would work too)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • pinches of dried parsley and basil
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper (this was actually too much pepper...I would probably cut it down to 1/4 tsp next time)
  • prepared pie crusts (I only used one and divided it into quarters for the pie topping
  • Veggies. I sauteed a bunch of what I had on hand and threw in some frozen veggies as well.
  • Chicken *optional* I kept mine just veggies but threw in some cooked organic chicken cubes in the kids and hubs' pies.
Mix it all together and fill the pies. Top with the pie crusts and bake @ 350 degrees for 30ish minutes or until crusts are slightly browned. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mee'ma said...

were these successful w/Kaiden
and Maddey?