Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"Green" Cleaning Recipes

I have totally submerged myself in this whole non-toxic, clean living path that I am on. When I tell you that I have been doing a TON of research, I'm not kidding. Reading books and countless sites on the Internet have given me endless amounts of information about beauty and cleaning products. And can I just start off my saying, "Yuck." It's insane what's in them. But if you want to do some research for yourself here's a few of my favorite places to start.

Gorgeously Green
book and website. She also has a book covering beauty products in which I am currently on the wait list at the library to get.

Another great website is
No More Dirty Looks. They also have a book that I am currently reading.

I must admit I have been having fun toying around with a few recipes that I have discovered on the web. And much to my dismay, they actually work as good, if not better, then their chemically laden counterparts that cost $$ more at the store. While you may have to invest in a few key ingredients up front, using the non-toxic products will save your wallet in the long run. Here are some recipes that I have currently been using for cleaning around my home.

Glass cleaner
2 c water
1/4 c white vinegar
1/2 tsp. dish soap

Keep in squirt bottle and shake up before using. I use an old wash cloth to wipe glass down with and it doesn't streak at all. If you don't like the vinegar smell (which goes away pretty quickly so I don't mind it) you can add some essential oils of your choice.

All-purpose cleaner
2 c water
1/2 c white vinegar
1 tsp castile soap (I use peppermint)
3/4 c hydrogen peroxide
20 drops tea tree oil
20 drops lavender (optional)

Mix all together and store in an opaque spray bottle because the light will diffuse the essential oils and hydrogen peroxide. Use on all surfaces including granite. It smells soooo good. It kind of makes me want to lick my counter tops!

Mouthwash
I haven't tried this yet, but I have all the ingredients to make this once my store bought crap is gone.
1/2 c distilled water
1 c aloe vera juice
1 T witch hazel
2 T baking soda
20 drops peppermint oil
Keep it in the fridge for a refreshing blast of mint!


*Update (11/1) I did make this and it tastes OK. Something that we will have to get used to. But it is FAR LESS toxic then the store bought variety!

Room Freshener
Essential oil of your choice (I am in love with lavender right now)
Water

Fill an old spray bottle with water and add some essential oil to desired aroma). Spray around your room and it will feel like you are laying in a field of lavender. (This was also recommended to me to use as a "monster spray" in case your little ones are afraid of monsters in their rooms! How cleaver!)

Baking Soda
I have also been using some baking soda to scrub my kitchen sink. Which is working really well. Once I use up all my store bought bathroom cleaners I will also be using it elsewhere. Also, about a week ago my bathroom sink became clogged up from all my hair falling out when I brush it or blow it dry. So I made a homemade drain cleaner and it worked like a charm.

Pour baking soda down in the drain. About a 1/2 cup or so. Then pour about equal amount of white vinegar down the drain. Watch it fizz up. Let sit for about an hour or more. Boil a kettle full of water and slowly pour the HOT water down the drain. Repeat process if necessary. I had to do this twice, but after the second time the clog was completely gone!

How's that for $1.00 a box?!?! (or if your a Costco member you can get a HUGE bag for like $5.00! or possibly FREE if you are into couponing....which I will report on my new adventures in coupons later as I figure it all out.)

See how easy it can be? Now go ahead and give it a try!

Come back later for my "green" skin care routine!

No comments: