Monday, September 27, 2010

Mason Jars

Confession: I have an addiction to glass mason jars.


It all started about a year ago when I got this ridiculously awesome idea for homemade Christmas gifts. So I started saving glass jars after I used them. Jars from spaghetti sauce, jars from salsa, almond butter, jelly jars, etc. etc. etc. Well, at the time, I had a 6 month old around the time of Christmas I barely had the time to scrounge up some gift cards for my family much less spend time being crafty with their gifts. So I stuck those jars away in my cabinets in hopes of my idea to come to fruition this year.

Fast forward to about a month ago when I was out in the blogosphere bouncing from blog to blog. I found this post about mason jars. I suddenly remembered that I had started to collect glass jars about a year ago. I rummaged in my cabinets and pulled them out and started filling them with nuts and seeds and dried beans.

Now I can't stop.

I am obsessed with how wonderful they look in my pantry. All neat and organized and fun. Oh so fun! Big jars, little jars, round jars, square-ish jars, big at the top/small at the bottom jars...such a montage of glass wonder. It makes me so happy to see my jars in my pantry. Sometimes I just open up the doors to marvel at their beauty. I have even been known to open a jar of spaghetti sauce and, even before it is done, transfer it to a different container in the fridge just so I can clean out that jar and use it in my pantry.

It's an illness. I think I need a 12-step program.

BUT, just you wait till I reveal my homemade Christmas gift idea this year. It's a gem.


Night all. I'm off to rearrange my jars.

3 comments:

Amanda Longie said...

What an awesome idea! I love mason jars too, so much I drink out of them. I'm from the south, so that's not really weird where I come from. I still totally dig the little baby food jars from Gerber and hold and touch them when I go into the grocery store. I don't make side trips or anything and can totally relate to the addictive side of mason jars. Can not wait to see the Christmas idea :)

tanya said...

I'm right there with you on the mason jars (not to mention my son's name is Mason, so you can also see my obsession). I do really love the idea of using all sorts of glass jars to store things in the pantry...I bet it looks super pretty!

Mee'ma said...

that's a pretty picture Tracey...