Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Going Vegetarian: What I Eat

I am sorry to keep beating a dead horse by all this talk about vegetarianism, but lately I have gotten a few inquiries about what I have been eating since I haven't been eating meat. I am not going to lie...it's hard coming up with new and interesting things that don't have meat in them. Especially things that my kids will eat. But, then again, I used to say that when trying to come up with dinners that had meat in them as well. You just can't win, I guess.

Some nights I cook dinners that I can leave the meat out of my portion but serve the meat to the rest of my family. I don't intend to drag them along on my journey quite yet. But other times I make something completely veggie friendly for us all and sometimes I will be surprised that my kids will actually eat it.

Here are some examples of things I have been making:

Breakfast
Cereal
Bagels with vegan cream cheese
Waffles
Yogurt parfait (with coconut yogurt from Whole Foods and loaded with fruit and my homemade granola)
Smoothies
Veggie omelets
Scrambled egg and veggie wrap

Lunch
Veggie wraps (loaded with any veggie I can find and drizzled with Balsamic Vinaigrette)
Homemade Hummus (minus the jalapenos and a few other tweaks to the recipe) and pita chips
Almond butter and jelly sandwich
Hummus sandwich with cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado and sprouts
Bagel with cream cheese, sliced tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, lettuce and sprouts

Dinner
Baked ziti
Lasagna roll-ups
Sweet potato enchiladas
Eggplant Parm
Roasted veggie sandwich
Toastadas (using Crockpot Refried Bean recipe and load with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, salsa, vegan sour cream, etc.
"Chipotle like" burritos bowls (again using either the refried bean recipe or black beans, corn, lime/cilantro rice, lettuce, sour cream, salsa, etc.
Crockpot Tortellini Soup
Quiche-although I haven't made this in awhile it's a good way to get rid of veggies that are starting to go bad.
Roasted tomatoes and fennel-I just made this last week. I put it over polenta (which I had never tried and was surprisingly impressed). It was good. I will definitely make it again.
Quesadillas-I make cheese and chicken for the kids and make mine with a bunch of veggies inside.
Avocado egg rolls
Pasta e Fazole
Veggie Burgers
Cabbage rolls-I made these for the first time over the weekend. They were pretty good and I used the soy meat crumbles. It actually tasted like taco beef.
Stuffed peppers
Tapas-bruschetta and such. I LOVE bruschetta and have used this recipe. With a few tweaks.
Spaghetti with loads of sauteed veggies.
Pancakes-my kids could eat these breakfast, lunch and dinner. And I love me some "breakfast for dinner."
Salads. My favorite is a spinach salad with roasted yams, corn, grape tomatoes, sesame seeds and feta cheese on top with balsamic vinaigrette. Oh yum.

That's all I can think of now. I am still on a daily hunt for great veggie recipes. So if you have some, please share!

Bon appetite!

3 comments:

chandy said...

I'm thinking about trying that eggplant parm recipe for dinner tonight. I want to use those free eggplans I got this weekend!

And I'll definitely be reading along for more recipes (not that I'm vegetarian, or interested in becoming one...I just like to find recipes where meat isn't the star of the show and the plants are the headliners.)

Do you ever read www.cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com? They post a lot of great recipes and articles, and every Thursday if vegetarian day.

chandy said...

By the way... Do you think if I made a double batch of that eggplan parm, would it freeze ok?

Tracey said...

That's what I did...I had some left over from making up the whole eggplant so I just froze it. I haven't eaten the stuff I froze yet, but I freeze everything and really have never had anything taste terrible. I remember my mom freezing eggplant parm as a kid and I never complained!
Go for it! Less work later!