Friday, September 17, 2010

Eggplant Parmagiana

So I don't know if I have mentioned it once or 100 times before, but I am not eating meat the whole month of September. And if all goes according to plan, I probably won't be eating much of it beyond that point as well. In my never ending quest to find tasty veggie dishes I came across this recipe in my recipe box last week. It has been ages since I have made this eggplant parm dish and after I made it I thought, "Wow....why haven't I been making this more often?"

Yes, I talk to myself. Call me crazy. Just not to my face.

Anyhoots, I thought I'd share it for anyone that is interested. I made this the old fashioned way and had it with a side of pasta and a salad. But then we had some left overs and I had it the next day on a hoagie roll with sauteed portabella mushrooms and bell peppers (and onions for hubs). Oh, yum. I even froze some after I made up the whole eggplant for a future quick dinner. I think I will not add this to one of my staples that I always have frozen for a quick pull.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large eggplant
  • salt and pepper
  • dry bread crumbs (I make my own in my Vita mix using the heels from my loaves of bread and then I sprinkle a little Italian seasoning in with it but you can certainly use the store bought kind)
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • olive oil
  • tomato sauce
  • mozzarella cheese
  • Parmesan cheese

Directions: Cut eggplant crosswise into round 1/4 inch thick slices. Season with salt and pepper. Dip into breadcrumbs, dip into egg and then dip into breadcrumbs again. Place on a plate and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Heat about 1/8" of oil in a skillet. Fry eggplant slices until tender and golden brown on both sides. Add more oil when necessary. Drain on paper towels.

Line a shallow baking dish with some sauce. Cover with a layer of eggplant. Cover with a layer of mozzarella cheese, more sauce and sprinkle basil and Parmesan cheese on top. Repeat in layers if desired. Bake @ 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: