Wednesday, September 1, 2010

30-Day No TV & No Meat Challenge

About 3 weeks ago I got a new book from the library that I need to read for a book club that I am going to attend. It ended up sitting on my night stand for about a week before I even picked it up. Mostly because after the kids are in bed I find myself plopping down in bed and turning the TV on. I do this not because there is all that much on TV that is worth watching, mind you, but more for the mind-numbingness (totally not a word) that it brings along with it. One night after watching "Khloe and Kourtney Take Miami" for the hundredth time I got so frustrated that I turned the TV off. I haven't turned it on (for myself to watch) since. That was two weeks ago.

About the same time I realized that I have been starting to feel sluggish and out of shape. I attribute it mostly to the fact that this summer I have been struggling with this not eating meat thing. Mostly because of poor planning and complete laziness. In doing so, I have noticed a big difference in my energy levels and how my body feels when I don't stick to a mostly vegetarian diet.

I got to thinking...I need something to get me back on track. So, I am going to do a 30-day challenge in the month of September. No TV (except for movies with hubs once a week), No eating meat and I have to get to the gym (at least) 3 times a week.

And trust me I realize that September is the month when all the new seasons of shows start. I have a knack for planning.

Here's to day one.

5 comments:

chandy said...

That sounds like an awesome challenge! I've all but stopped watching tv as well, and I've found I don't really miss it. I check out dvds from the library once in awhile, and my husband and I will occasionally order a movie. But that's about it. Books are so much better than anything on tv. What are you reading? I love love love my book club...hope you like yours too!

Allison said...

Do you have a DVR? You could catch up later, if you even care at that point. I hardly watch TV anymore either. Who has time with 3 kids? I usually watch things that I've recorded, so I can zip through them faster.

Tracey said...

I used to go to the CCV book club that met at Arrowhead B&N. But I haven't been since Madelyn was born 15months ago.
My mom's group just started a book club....so much more convenient for me since it is in my neighborhood. It's not a "Christian" book club reading all Christian authors, but I will enjoy reading fiction again all the same.
This month we are reading "Barefoot" by Elin Hilderbrand. Pretty good so far....Here's to reading LOTS of books! I actually miss it alot!

Anonymous said...

Let me know if you ever want to meet up at the gym or for an evening walk once the kids are in bed. Lisa (Enzo's mom) and I meet a few times a week at night to walk..would be fun to have you join us. :)

Jen Drew said...

Oops, why am I anonymous above? Humm, it's Jen Drew. :)