Monday, August 9, 2010

Sunday Cooking

We made it home safe and sound from Pennsylvania.  It was a fabulous time and the kids really loved being with Mee-ma and Pee-pa everyday.  But we did miss our home, my hubby and our old routine.  More to come on the fun times we had in the not so distant future.

So I came home to bare cabinets and a bare refrigerator.  Saturday I spent the day running around getting staple items to replenish our supply.  Sunday I wanted to spend most of the day baking and cooking to get some items in the freezer and in the cabinets that I almost always have on hand.  I thought I would post the recipes because, yum!  Enjoy! 

Crock pot Refried Beans
I originally got this recipe from here.  I read all the suggestions in the review section and tweaked it to my liking.  I always have a batch made and freeze it in smaller containers.  It is easy to pull a small container for that nights dinner when I need to.  It's so yummy and soooooo much better than the canned version. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 onion peeled and halved (Yes, only half it.  It disintegrates while cooking)
  • 3 cups pinto beans, rinsed
  • 2T minced garlic
  • 3-5 tsp salt
  • 1 3/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/8 tsp cumin
  • 9 cups water
Directions:
Place all the ingredients in the crock pot.  Slowly stir in the water.  Crock on HIGH for 8 hours (add water as needed-if it seems to loose more than a cup of water add more).  Drain beans and save liquid.  Mash the beans with a potato masher and add some liquid to achieve the desired consistency you want.  Freeze in individual containers if you want.  I also freeze the liquid in several small containers.  I have found that after I thaw the refried beans I usually need to add a little liquid to get the consistency that I like again. 

Granola
Having used to buy granola I decided to try making my own.  Have you ever noticed the price of granola in the store?!  So I have tried a few different recipes that I found online and this one seems to be my favorite so far.  Again, I have added just a few minor changes to achieve to desired taste that I wanted. 
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 3/4 c shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup + 2T maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup + 2T brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup raisins
  • I also throw in a scoop of ground flax seeds and 1-2T of wheat germ
Directions:
Combine oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, combine oil, maple syrup and salt.  Mix both together.  Lay out mixture on 2 baking sheets.  Bake @ 250 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Turn every 15 minutes so that it will brown evenly.  (I usually bake it at 250 for the first 30 minutes then turn it down to 225 or even 200 for the remaining time)

2 comments:

Allison said...

Cool. Thanks for posting.

Jen Drew said...

hi! I see you use flax seed and wheat germ in a lot of recipes. Can you taste a difference when using it? Thought I would try to sneak these into our breakfast foods. :) Where do you buy?