Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Potty Training in One Weekend

For Kaiden's 2nd birthday in October we bought him his very first potty. Since then I began to "introduce" the concept of going on the potty. Here and there I would sit him on it. Mostly in the morning while Madelyn was down for a nap and I was trying to get a shower. He would sit on that thing for a good hour while watching Sesame Street sometimes going pee, sometimes not. But, he never seemed to mind, so I just let him sit. As the day went on and things got hectic running here and running there, making meals, cleaning up dishes, getting ready for naps, throwing in laundry, etc, etc, etc, I would get side tracked and usually never consistently put him on the potty for the rest of the afternoon/early evening. But, I never worried about it, because I always used the excuse that we were just "introducing" the potty and when he turned 2 1/2 we would start to get more aggressive with it.

Kaiden is now "officially" 2 1/2 and I have been determined to start on a potty routine to get him out of diapers. I started last Monday by sitting him on the potty every 30 minutes but still had him in a pull-up the rest of the time. Sometimes he would go, but mostly he would wait till I put the pull-up back on only to go in that. When the weekend started to approach, and I realized we didn't have too many plans, I decided I was going to try the ole "potty train your kid in one weekend" approach that some of my friends have used. I honestly didn't have high expectations that it would work since Kaiden is a "very slow to warm up to anything new" kind of kid.

On Friday I was supposed to go to the park with some other moms but was mentally exhausted at the thought of getting myself and the kids dressed, lunches packed and heading out the door. So I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and let Kaiden run around and play on the back patio naked to start our potty training weekend. I brought the potty out with us, made him drink water constantly throughout the day and sat him on the potty every 20 minutes or so. He pretty much was able to go almost every time I put him on and only peed on the concrete once early on in the morning. About early evening while I was getting dinner ready, he ran over to the potty all by himself and went pee-pee! And that's how the rest of the weekend went.

We mastered #1 on the potty just in the first day, but #2 took a little convincing. Up till Sunday night he had been going in his diaper when we put it on for naps or early when he woke up in his diaper. But, by Sunday evening he had to go so bad (and was naked) that he was forced to go run over to the potty. He hasn't gone #2 again but I am holding out that he will soon get that part down as much as he has with going #1.

I send Kaiden to preschool yesterday and today in a pull-up because I didn't want the teacher to have to deal with any messes if he didn't go on the potty. But I think that from now on I will be taking him out in "big boy pants" rather than pull-ups. I had been told (and can definitely see) where they are confusing to them as he is "allowed" to go whenever in the pull-up rather than telling me that he has to potty.

We are extremely excited that it was a relatively easy transition....So far. I hope this continues and we can finally get one out of diapers for good!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Fantastic! That's how I potty trained my girls. I plan to do the same with Malachi when he's 2. #2 was hard to convince Natalie of as well. Eboni had no troubles. I think it helps to have an older sibling that's already going potty. Good job so far though!

Kaye said...

Wow! Great job! Glad the first portion went so easily for you! Keep it up...he'll be a pro in no time and it will be that glorious time of "HOORAY for NO DIAPERS/PULL UPS".

However, I will warn you that at first the no diapers deal in public is exhausting because if he's anything like our son, he'll be convinced that he has to go every 20-30 minutes, so we'll have to find a bathroom in public. It's temporary though, so just push through it! =)

Katie said...

Oh potty training... how I LOATHE you!!!! Great job (and patience) Tracey!!!! :)

Yo' Mama said...

OK POTTY TRAINING IN ONE WEEK....

HOW 'BOUT PUTTING A NEW POST UP.
IT'S NOT LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS
FULL OR ANYTHING, WHAT ABOUT YOUR
COMMITMENT TO YOUR BLOG READERS???

DON'T WE COUNT....???