Monday, March 8, 2010

Sweet Potato Enchiladas

Last July Kaiden got tubes in his ears and, boy, what a blessing they have been. From the time he turned one (in October of '08) until July of '09 he had an ear infection every month before he got the tube surgery. Since then he has had one ear infection that cleared up with three days of drops. It's been 6 months since that ear infection and, much to our surprise, over the weekend he started running a fever. It has progressively gotten worse and last night spiked to 102. Not only that but it is accompanied by a violent cough and a runny nose. Needless to say that none of us have slept all that well the past two nights and a trip to the doctor's office this morning confirmed that the large amount of fluid draining from both ears was due to a double ear infection and sinus/upper respiratory infection. I hope these antibiotics kick in fast or we may start having hallucinations from lack of sleep.

Calgon take me away.

This really has no relevance to what I wanted to post today, but I thought you would enjoy living in my misery and/or say a quick prayer that Kaiden starts to feel better. Pronto. Poor baby. He just doesn't know what to do with himself.

Anyways, remember my quest for finding organic vegetarian/vegan recipes to serve my family (remember we are trying to go 70-80% in any one of these directions)? Well, it all has been going really well. Minus the one time or so a week that we have eaten meat because we still have some left in our freezer that we need to go through we have been pretty successful not eating the stuff and eating more veggies and fruit. I must admit that we already feel a whole lot healthier, less bloated and more energetic. So last night I made a new recipe called Sweet Potato Enchiladas. Oh my word. We love enchiladas at our house and I hated the thought of giving them up. So I found a few recipes for this and kind of threw a little of each recipe together to make my own. Try them. They are divine.

Ingredients:
3-4 medium sized Yams (I like yams better than actual "sweet potatoes". Plus they are easier to find)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
3-4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
4-6 flour tortillas
Large can of enchilada sauce
Shredded Cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
Black beans (canned is fine if you don't have time to make your own), drained and rinsed

Directions:
Boil yams in large pot of water until tender. About 30 minutes. Drain and cool. Peel yams and place in a bowl. Mash to your liking. Add spices and garlic and stir until it is all worked into the mashed yams.
Pour a small layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a casserole pan. Spoon mashed yams onto a flour tortilla. Top with a layer of black beans, a spoonful of enchilada sauce and a handful of cheese. Roll up and place seem side down in pan. Do this with the remainder of the tortillas. (3 yams made enough for 4 enchiladas with a little mashed yams left over. I probably could have made another 1-2). Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Yummy! Enjoy! Come see our new site, Keepin' it Real, for more information and recipes using real food.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I'm going to try these. I'm all about vegetarian meals, so I'm excited to have another recipe to try. I love that there are black beans in it too. I think I may be slightly addicted to them. Haha.

chandy said...

This post reminded me that I've been meaning to google the difference between yams and sweet potatoes. I've never known before...

And I'm looking forward to trying this recipe! You had me at enchilada...

(Hope your little guy feels better soon!)

Trish said...

Tried these and they were AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. Hope the whole family is feeling better.

Carson said...

Checked this out because I remembered you blog and wanted to learn from a parenting pro... and here's the sweet potato enchilada recipe!! Yay! Great visiting with you these past days.