Monday, February 22, 2010

Roasted Veggie Sandwich with Pesto and a Few Other Random Bits of Information

Throughout the years I have dabbled with different ways of eating. Always "healthy" (or so I thought) but sometimes all organic, all vegetarian, vegan or going raw. Although going completely 100% in any one of these areas is really hard, it was our goal to stick to these at least 80%. Right around the time that hubs and I got engaged and were planning our wedding we went raw, and I am telling you, I have never felt better. But, since then, trying to work (at the time), two pregnancies and now having two small children we have often fell off the bandwagon.

Since then, we have always longed to go back to our vegetarian/vegan/raw, all (or mostly) organic lifestyle. About 3 weeks ago I saw an Oprah episode that highlighted the movie Food, Inc. I went out and rented it that weekend for hubs and I to watch and Oh. My. Goodness. It has literally changed the way we look at food, the food industry and what goes into our bodies. We are back on our bandwagon of eating fresh, organic fruits, veggies and grains. And although I am not totally going to eliminate eating meat in our diet, I want to considerably downsize the frequency that we eat it and for majority of the time it will be organic or at least grass fed. Again, trying to stick to this way of eating at least 80% because it's just too hard to go 100%. Especially with kids.

My goal of this post is really to just give you a WONDERFUL recipe that I tried a few days ago and can't get enough of, but a little background of why I actually made this recipe was in order. It's not my intention to sway you one way or the other of how to eat, but only to encourage you to watch the movie (and if you are a reader then read Skinny Bitch) and decide for yourself what is right for you and your family.

With that said, I am stepping down from my soap box now. On to the recipe. I am salivating just thinking about it.

This recipe is for a roasted veggie sandwich with pesto that I found online. If I remembered where I found it I would link to it, but I can't for the life of me find it so I will write it out from memory. It's pretty easy. I have never made pesto before and was so amazed at how simple it was and how incredibly yummy!

Pesto:
2.5oz of fresh basil
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of pine nuts
1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped up a bit

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy.

Sandwich:
Eggplant
Zucchini
Red Bell Pepper
Portabella Mushrooms
Tomato
Avocado
Spouts or Spinach Lettuce (optional)
Focaccia Bread (or whole grain rolls)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Cut all veggies (except tomato, avocado and sprouts/lettuce) lengthwise and place on a baking sheet sprayed with Pam. Drizzle (or brush on) olive oil. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper to taste. Roast in oven for 30 minutes at 400 degrees turning halfway through.
Brush pesto on bread (I warmed my bread in the oven for a couple minutes before hand). Slice tomato and avocado and place on bread. Pile on roasted veggies and top with lettuce or sprouts. YUMMY!!!!

4 comments:

Allison said...

I LOVE veggie sandwiches!!! Thanks for sharing.

Allison said...

Oh, I also wanted to share a recipe I found for pesto in case you wanted to try another one. This one is crazy good too. Here's the link to it: http://bouiefamily.blogspot.com/2009/10/fresh-basil-pesto.html

chandy said...

oooh... that does sound good.

One of the food bloggers I enjoy (Casual Kitchen) recently did a 7 day trial of a completely raw diet. It was very interesting to read his thoughts. I could definitely stand to eat more raw foods, but I could never go completely raw! No cheese, chocolate, wine, or bread? Yikes!!

Mee'ma said...

Looks like I missed a good
meal, my dear. Will definitely
try this one. Dad loved the
roasted yam salad w/black beans, corn, etc.