Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'm Pretty Sure I Talk to a Wall Most Days

So as I mentioned before, Kaiden's communication skills have soared and he is repeating pretty much anything and everything that he hears. I am pretty sure that yesterday we had a full on dialog about a rabbit that we saw in our back yard and how it was a mommy rabbit that was running home to go to sleep. It was pretty funny and most of the conversation I was staring at him in pure delight and I was fascinated that he was pretty much able to tell me all of that in the course of a solid 5 minutes of talking.

But also with his increased vocabulary and conversing skills, most days that I hear the same things come out of his mouth over and over and over and over and over again. Then I find myself repeating the same answer to him over and over and over again. Here was our conversation this morning:

Kaiden: "Where McQueen go?"
(As you can see we are totally OBSESSED with Lightening McQueen here in this house.)
Me: "I don't know. I haven't seen him"
Kaiden: "McQueen go, Mommy? McQueen go?"
Me: "I don't know, buddy. I haven't seen him. Did you try looking in your toy drawer?"
Kaiden: "McQueen go? McQueen go? McQueen go?"
Me: "Buddy, I am not quite sure. You need to go look for it."
Kaiden: "McQueen go, Mommy. McQueen go?"

And this honestly went on for another couple of minutes in the same fashion. Or our conversation that happened last night:

Kaiden: "Watch Star." (Star and Lucy are characters on the night show on Sprout that we let him watch right before bed)
Me: "Star is not on yet. We are going to eat dinner, take a bath and then you can watch Star."
Kaiden: "Watch Star."
Me: "Kaiden. Mommy just said that Star is not on yet."
Kaiden: "Lucy."
Me: "We need to eat dinner still then you can watch Star and Lucy later. Before bed."
Kaiden: (two minutes later after getting some cars to play with) "Watch Star, Mommy."

So, although I am thrilled at the turn in his vocabulary, you can see where lately I feel like I am talking to a wall repeating myself over and over and over again. But I also find myself in awe of him at times. His memory is amazing. Like today we were driving to Walmart to pick up a few groceries. We happened to drive past the Starbucks on the way and he said, "Mommy coffee." Yes, buddy. That's where mama treats herself to her drug of choice. Or when I ask him if he wants to go to school and he nods his head and says, "Play cars, trucks" cause that is what he remembers most about going to his weekly class.

Each time he gets to a new point of his development and I notice him picking up different skills I keep saying it is my favorite age. But, even though we still have difficulties with tantrums and whining, I will honestly say that this is my favorite age. So far.

No comments: