Monday, December 14, 2009

6 Month Update

Madelyn had her 6 month check up on Friday and girl is gonna be an Amazon women for sure! She weighed in at 17 lbs 7 oz (69%) and is 28 inches long (98%!).

Madelyn is still teething pretty badly and seems to have not stopped for the past 3 1/2 months. But, to date, she has three teeth on the bottom and looks like she is getting about three more bottom teeth. The doctor said her upper gums looked a little red and swollen indicating the two front teeth maybe making their appearance sometime soon. Through it all she has been a trooper, chewing on everything in sight.

Nighttime has been a blessing. She has been sleeping through the night since she turned 5 months old. We had to let her cry-it-out one night and from that night on we haven't had any problems with her sleeping besides one night that she woke in the middle of the night. I was able to soothe her back to sleep and ever since she has been fine. We put her to bed around 6:30pm and she has been getting up anywhere between 5:30-7:00am. We have settled into a pretty good nap routine as well. Morning nap about 2 hours after she wakes up for 1-2 hours. I try to hold out for that afternoon nap to occur around 1/1:30 after I put Kaiden down so I can get some alone time to actually get stuff done or attempt a nap myself. It usually happens for me quite nicely and she will sleep anywhere from 2-3 hours in the afternoon.

Maddey is fully sitting up on her own now and when she is on her tummy she wants to crawl so badly. I can see it in her eyes. Or maybe that was just her making "presents" for Mom to clean up later. Whatever the case may be, she is trying to pull her legs under her and scoot around the floor any way that she can. It won't be long, I'm afraid, until I have two on the move.

We started solids a couple weeks ago so now we are having three meals a day in addition to her formula. She has even started to eat some Cheerios, munch on graham crackers or puffs. While she is still having trouble picking up the smaller pieces with index and thumb to get them in her mouth, I can tell a big difference with just the few short weeks that she has been practicing. She'll be getting it soon.

Other than that, she is just a pleasant baby. When they say that girls are so different then boys, it's true. She has picked up stuff sooner than Kaiden did (maybe this is because she has her older brother to watch, but I think it's mostly a "girl thing") and she is so much more content. I can sit her on the floor and she will play there for a good amount of time before wanting to be moved. With Kaiden I had to keep rotating him to different apparatus every 5-10 minutes.

I am really starting to enjoy this age and it seems to go even faster with the second one. I blink and another month seems to fly by at rapid pace. Before I know it she'll be turning one and I'll be longing for those "baby" moments back. And although I don't think I am meant to endure another pregnancy or have more than two of my own, there is a little smiggin' of me that thinks I may long to do it all over again. But just a smiggin'.

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

You are smack-dab in the middle of my favorite age. I love 3-9 months! Even before I had kids of my own...I just love babies. 6 months is SO FUN!