Thursday, November 19, 2009

Spell it Out

Conversations in our house have turned into a spelling B challenge. No longer can hubs and I freely discuss any topic without worrying that little ears are listening. No longer can we talk about dinner menus without possible meltdowns prior to when dinner is actually ready to be served. I actually had a conversations with him the other night that went something like this:

Me to hubs:

"I am making S-P-A-G-H-E-T-T-I for D-I-N-N-E-R. While I am making it can you maybe take Kaiden O-U-T-S-I-D-E to ride his B-I-K-E? He has been asking for it all day and he is obsessing about wanting C-R-A-C-K-E-R-S right now and I don't want him to ruin his D-I-N-N-E-R. Or you could get his C-R-A-Y-O-N-S and let him C-O-L-O-R for a bit...Everyone will need a B-A-T-H tonight as well if you want to give Kaiden one now or wait till after we E-A-T. By the way, do you want garlic B-R-E-A-D?"

Kaiden is picking up on everything, repeating everything and understands pretty much everything we say. Especially anything about food, baths, cars, trucks, bikes, etc. I actually have to laugh at myself sometimes cause I feel like I sound so ridiculous spelling everything out. But, for my sanity, it's a must.

I guess this will work for now until he can actually spell words. Then what will I do?

3 comments:

Melissa Darby said...

That cracks me up, it sounds like out house, but it's really funny when my hubby just stares at me because he missed a letter or 2 and he has no idea what I spelled

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Just about the time you think you could win a national spelling bee, you'll have a Kindergardener who is ON to you. Ryan picks up about 1/2 of what I spell these days. NOW what am I supposed to do???

Kaye said...

I recently had to try to tell my hubby something about Christmas shopping in front of our 4-year old who can spell certain words. It was "fun" to try to work my way around the conversation without using any word he knows how to spell. It wasn't easy!