Saturday, June 27, 2009

My First Week Flying Solo

I honestly don't know what I was thinking. I totally thought that I would be updating my blog on a more consistent basis to give better updates on the ins and outs of our household with "two under two." Shame on me.

Things have been CRAZY here. I am totally in "lucky if I eat breakfast, shower and get dressed before 2:00 in the afternoon" mode. And by breakfast I mean shoving a granola bar down my throat or eating the rest of Kaiden's uneaten cereal. And by shower I mean quickly lather and rinse before the next diaper change or time to feed either Kaiden or Madelyn. And by getting dressed I mean throwing on an old T-shirt and gym shorts and pulling my hair back in a messy ponytail.

My Mom was here for two weeks and left on Father's Day. Making this the first full week that I flew solo during the day. I managed to make it out of the house three mornings to go to Barnes and Nobles so Kaiden could play on the Thomas the Train table they have, attend a play date at a friend's house and go to story hour at the library. And these were all before 10am. A feat that still leaves me in awe of myself. But after being home all day on Monday, stuck inside with two little ones, I just knew that Kaiden was going to need to get out. Even if it was only in the morning for a few hours. I was determined. We even made it out a few nights this week once Daddy came home from work. We went to the park one evening for a picnic dinner and out for a family walk in our new double stroller on Thursday night. We even went as far as inviting friends over for pizza and a movie last night. I know. I must be crazy.

Kaiden has adjusted so well to the new addition. He is such a big helper getting blankets to cover Maddey, trying to give her a paci or bottle and showering her with kisses and hugs. I worry that I have not been giving him as much attention in the past week and try to make up for it whenever I get a free moment. It's all still so new and I still feel lost without a routine. Which will come as the days and weeks go by.

Madelyn now is weighing in at 7lbs (as of last Friday) and still 20 1/2inches long. She is starting to look bigger to me and filling out in her face. She has gotten stronger head control and spends a little longer awake during feedings, but all in all, she still sleeps a lot. We had a few rough nights where she has been very gassy after feedings and can't calm herself down. But for every rough night it seems to be a bit better the next day. I will have to see if we can change her formula until we get just the right fit for her.

All in all we are surviving. I feel pretty good about how the first week went and look forward to Madelyn getting more active and alert. (I know I will regret making that statement once it happens!)

Here are some new pictures of our little family!

Building with Lego's at The Science Museum with Mommy and G-ma

Our first family picture before Mommy and Daddy got to go out on a date


Miss Maddey relaxing on her thrown during our family night at the park

Kaiden giving baby hugs

4 comments:

Allison said...

I promise that it does get easier. Don't worry about not showering or dressing until late in the day. Consider it a great accomplishment to actually take a shower on a regular basis. You're doing great. Oh, and are you kidding me?! That family picture before your date -- you look amazing. It took me months and months to shrink that small again. I'm so impressed!

lizspin said...

She is absolutely a beauty!!!

Notwifezilla- Jackie said...

You are so brave to go out with the two of them so much already. But I guess with a nearly two year old basically climbing up the walls, what other option do you have? She is such a cutie!

Kaye said...

Sounds like you've been pretty successful during your first week although it may feel chaotic to you.

By the way...love the picture of her lounging on the blanket. That's awesome! =)