Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Madelyn's Story

It has been 10 days since that fateful day when I went to the hospital to deliver Miss Madelyn. Wow, what an eventful day that was!

It all started out like any other day. I had a OB appointment at 8:45 in morning. She said I was 3-4 cm and 80% effaced. At that point she gave me some options. She said that we could go ahead and schedule an elective induction for the 10th when I would be 39 weeks and she was on call. She also said in the meantime, she could strip my membranes (ewww, I know!) with the chance of two things happening. Either I would (a) go into labor within 24 hours or (b) nothing would happen. I gave her the go ahead and left the office thinking that I would probably just see her that following Wednesday at my induction.

My Dad, Kaiden and I left and went to Costco to pick up a few items before heading home. At this point it was about an hour after my appointment and I was having cramps and contractions the whole time that we were shopping. A side effect of her stripping my membranes. So I thought. On the way home, I was still contracting and getting more and more uncomfortable. Again, not really believing that I was actually in labor, I told my dad to just keep heading home. After getting home, I threw in a load of laundry and made sure that everything was packed "just in case" this was the real thing. About noon I realized that my contractions were coming about every 5-7 minutes and knew that it was time to head to the hospital. We gathered our stuff and by 12:30 we were on our way.

We got the hospital by 1:00 and when they check me I was a definite 4cm with a bulging bag. My contractions were coming every 3 minutes and getting more intense by the minute. Through every painful contraction the nurse was telling me that she would call the doctor but thought that I would probably have to get up and walk around to make sure that my cervix was changing before they would take me upstairs to L&D. I knew that would be an impossible feat as I was already in so much pain, contractions were coming one right after the other, and I felt like I just wanted to crawl out of my skin. But I humored her and nodded my head in a "whatever you say" sort of way and cursed her through gritted teeth politely asked her to have the friggin' anesthesiologist ready with my epidural ASAP. Thankyouverymuch.

After what seemed like an eternity, the nurse finally came back in and said that I was contracting strongly and frequently enough that they were taking me up to Labor and Delivery. At this point I was a full 6cm and just about to watch myself turn into my full on Exorcist self complete with eyes rolling back in my head and 360 degree head rotation. It wasn't pretty. I was quickly loosing all self control.

About 3:00 I finally had my epidural and thought that I was sitting pretty comfy for the duration of the labor. Boy was I wrong. At this point, I didn't have any pain, per se, just felt an extremely uncomfortable amount of pressure. I ended up going from 6-10 cm in 40 minutes and by 3:40pm was pushing away. Hubs said he never saw me so determined, but I wanted this little lady OUT so with about 9 minutes of pushing, little Miss Madelyn came into the world at 3:49pm.

It was a whirlwind of a labor and I still need to apologize to the staff and my family for acting like such a maniac! But there is a moral to this story...childbirth friggin' hurts. Get the epidural if you expect to maintain even an ounce of sanity.

So, we are home now and I can honestly say that everything has been going relatively smoothly. She mostly sleeps all day and gets up to eat every 3-4 hours. Kaiden has adjusted well to the new baby and likes to kiss her head and gently stroke her arms while often saying "Baby. Baby" over and over again. My mom is still here until Father's Day when we will be left to fend for ourselves with a toddler and a newborn. A thought that has me scared out of my mind! But I know that I better treasure this time when she is sleeping so much and quiet. It won't last long.

It is a blessing to have a new baby girl and we continue to thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers throughout my pregnancy. Hopefully I will be able to keep up with posting frequently about the daily changes that happen here in our home. Although sleep is high on the priority scale right now so check back often for short updates on our progress!

Blessings....

No comments: