Monday, March 16, 2009

What's In A Name?


It's official. This little princess may be born and be known as "baby girl" for the rest of her life. Why? Only because her daddy and mommy couldn't decide on a name for her.

I don't remember having this much trouble deciding on a name with Kaiden. We saw the name in a book, put it in our top three and wham...that was it. I guess maybe it helped that I went into labor early so we were pretty much forced to have made a decision pretty darn quick. But that's not the point. We had a name for goodness sakes and we actually agreed on it.

So here we are with baby #2 coming in about 13 short weeks and we have, well, nothing. A list. A list that at some points we narrow down to our top 3 then it turns into a list that keeps growing with names that we either keep on there forever or cross of immediately and we get no closer to one that sticks. I like the cutesy names, hubs likes the trendy, common names. I tend to gravitate towards something that can be shortened into a nickname, hubs wants something that "goes" with Kaiden (whatever that means). We pick one out and try it for a couple of days. I like it and think it's a keeper, hubs thinks that we better keep looking. Hubs likes names that just happen to be names of relatives or friends kids. I refuse to entertain those names because, well, it's just wrong. I suggest some names. Hubs doesn't like them. Hubs suggests some names. I don't like them. So, you see where I am going with this? Basically back to square one. We just can't agree.

It's really frustrating actually. I am running out of ideas. In fact, to date, I really haven't had a name that has hit me and I said, "oh, yes, I really LOVE that name." I don't know what the deal is. I feel like at this point we may just have to "settle" on something just for the sake of this poor kid having a name!

So, I am looking to you my faithful readers. Does anyone have some suggestions for this poor little princess that, as it looks now, may spend the first few weeks being referred to "baby R" because her parents spent the past 20 weeks debating over an ever growing list of names? I need guidance my friends. And, if this continues, maybe some marriage counseling as well.

7 comments:

Melissa Darby said...

We had a really hard time with the 2nd also. I'm not sure why, I think because we knew it was our last shot. I am not sure if that is the case with you, but for us, I felt like it had to be perfect because that was it!!
Good luck, it will come to you!

MOM said...

....maybe you should let your
Mommy (her G-ma)name her. I've
had a name picked out since before
you knew it was a girl! And it
is not a Kaiden sounding name, nor
does anyone I've ever known have this name, AND it sounds great w/R
last name.

Notwifezilla- Jackie said...

Moira was almost Juliet. I love that name. I also am a fan of Charlotte but it doesn't quite work with our last name.
Hmmmm....Kaiden and Karly, Kassie, Kennedy?
Check out the social security website for ideas.
Good luck!

Tracy said...

Yikes, this is a tough one! When we decided on Reagan it was because we really liked the actual name, along with its meaning, and it was not common, but also not weird. All of those things were important to us. Unfortunately, choosing a name doesn't seem to be our problem, getting pregnant and sustaining the pregnancy is. We already have our next names if it ever actually happens again. Good luck to you!

PS - Kaitlyn goes with Kaiden quite well! ;-)

Allison said...

While I won't make an actual suggestion for a name, I will give you some thoughts. I would be very careful with a common name. Do you want her to be known as "____" R. at school? I had Tanner R. and Tanner D. one year. I had 3 Michael's in my reading group one year. So, basically, try to avoid common/trendy names.

The way we selected the girl's names was by meaning first. Natalie means born at Christmastime. Celeste means angelic/heavenly. So, Natalie Celeste is our Christmas Angel, since she was born 7 days before Christmas. For Eboni, we wanted an African name or a name that had to do with Africa. Tony went to South Africa and Zimbabwe with Fellowship of Christian Athletes while in the NFL, and that was a really significant experience for him. Tony brought home some incredible art pieces made of ebony wood. So...we got Eboni's first name that way. We changed the spelling ot make it unique and not look so close to Tony (Tony/Ebony -- see?). Her middle name is Grace. We picked that to remind us of God's amazing grace -- hence, Eboni Grace.

We made lists and left them on the counter for both girls. We would just leave them there and keep looking at them, saying them, seeing how well they rolled off the tongue for when she would be in trouble (it's going to happen, so you might as well get a name that works). If one bothered either of us after a few days, it was gone. We narrowed it down to Natalie Celeste/Victoria (forget the middle name we had) and Eboni Grace/Faith Katherine (Katherine is Scandanavian like part of Tony's family). Natalie and Eboni just seemed right after a while. It took a while, and it may have taken us to the last 4-6 weeks or so both times. I think Natalie's name suits her well. And, now that Eboni is here, she is so NOT a Faith. She's my full-of-life Ebee. :-) Now, if we ever have a son (We don't get to request when adopting. It's up to God, just like when I got pregnant each time wtih the girls. I think that's really neat.)...he already has a name. :-)

Just my thoughts...hopefully you will start to narrow it down soon. I had a friend who didn't decided on her daughter's name until the day she was released from the hospital (born via c-section, so that was 3 or 4 days), so don't feel bad you haven't decided yet. You still have time. :-D

Trish said...

Or... you have a little list of maybes... and when she comes the name will come too... or so I hear.

Victoria said...

I have a Kaiden too!! (spelled Kadyn) All of our kids names end in -yn and they could all be boy or girl names.

Have you gone to nameplayground.com? You can search for names that end in -den. Maybe you'll find something you like, maybe not!

Good luck!