Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A "Quick" Trip To The Vet

Can your day get any worse then when you are stuck in the tiny little exam room at the veterinarian's office for 45 minutes before a doctor comes in to see you with a 17 month old who is crawling on the floor and proceeds to get covered in dog and cat hair because there is nothing else to do in a vet's office exam room other than empty out the contents of his mother's purse on the floor while the family chihuahua spends that time shaking in the corner of the room because he knows that he is about to get a thermometer shoved up his butt and a few needles poked into his legs?

And while you are waiting for said doctor to come and take the 2 minutes it normally takes her to examine your pooch and give him his yearly shots you hear a woman walking in with her dog to the reception desk and request to make an appointment. "I need to make an appointment for my dog," she states. "He just needs his anal glands cleaned out, that's all."

That's all? That's all? If I were that pooch I would spend the better part of today trying to figure out how to high tail it out of the house and find myself a new family that doesn't feel it necessary to take me to the vet to get my anal glands cleared out. Best of luck with that one, buddy. I am pretty sure it may feel better to poke your eyes out with a dull butter knife.

4 comments:

MOM said...

You are funny my dear...
hope everyone survived that visit!

Just when you think you've heard
it all...that's a new one!!

Allison said...

Our dogs have had to have that done. Trust me when I say it's better than not doing it. It's pretty gross to think about though. If your dog ever scoots it's bottom on your floors, that's that what your puppy is trying to do themselves. So, keep an eye out for scooting (& stop it pronto on your floors! Ha!). :-)

Which vet do you use? We go to the one in New River.

Melissa Darby said...

They do need the anal glad cleaned out, trust me. My beagle that died (God rest his soul) had to have his gland cleaned out or else he stank!!! It was disgusting

lizspin said...

I've heard about the anal grand thing. . . disgusting!!!!

Let's hope your son wasn't crawling around in that!