Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lasagna Rolls-WFMW

A friend of mine just recently had a baby and to help her out I volunteered to take her family a meal. Cause we all know when you have a new baby, and a toddler running around, cooking dinner is the last thing on your mind.

I had been wanting to make a batch of my famous lasagna rolls for a while now so that I had some on hand for "grab and go" type of last minute meals.

*Okay, confession, they aren't exactly "famous" but when hubs and I open our smoothie/egg sandwich/omelet/grilled ham and cheese/lasagna joint they certainly will be. You watch.*

So anyways, I decided this recipe is always a hit with my preggo-turned-mommy-I-don't-have-time-to-cook-tonight friends, so I figured to just take an afternoon to make up a batch of these yummies, deliver a pan to her, have lasagna for my family last night and still have some left on hand to freeze for dire emergencies.

I make my lasagna in individual type of "rolls." I think that this is so much easier than making a large pan of lasagna. Admittedly, we are not a "left over" type of family, so a large pan of lasagna would undoubtedly go to waste. I often freeze them in either a pan of 4 rolls with sauce and cheese all ready to go in the oven, or flash freeze each roll and store them in a Ziploc bag. This allows me to pull a few rolls out for hubs and I when I am in a pinch for a quick meal. Just add them to a pan with sauce, sprinkle some cheese over top and Voila!....lasagna for two. Or three if Kaiden isn't being too picky that day.

So here it is, complete with pictures so you know exactly how I make them.

Filling:
  • 3/8 c (6T) Parmesan cheese
  • 2 lbs (4 c) Ricotta cheese
  • 12 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (or can use some oregano, thyme, basil combo)

Cook and drain 1 box of lasagna noodles (I cook 1/2 box at a time). Drain well and lay out each noodle on wax paper.

Spread about 1/3 c filling on each noodle. Just so it's not oozing out the sides when you roll it up.

Place some spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a greased pan. Add some rolls-seam side down. Top with additional sauce and Parmesan and mozzarella. Cover with foil. Either freeze like this or if you are ready to eat that day, bake 40 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove foil and bake 5-10 minutes more.
Or place rolls on a cookie sheet with wax paper. Flash freeze them (place in the freezer for about an hour on the cookie sheet until they are hard) and then place in a Ziploc bag in the freezer for later use.

It is a longer process of making lasagna. Plan to spend about an hour or more to get it all made and stored. Especially if you are flash freezing as that alone takes about an hour for them to be solid enough to put in the Ziploc bags. But, believe me, it's worth the time to have a big batch of lasagna on hand for future use!

Works for me!

9 comments:

Kaycee said...

This is a great idea. I think I'll make some of these this weekend. I need more friends who will make dinner and bring it to my house.

lizspin said...

Good idea! Never thought of flash freezing them . . .well, I never heard of flash freezing before. . . but still.

BTW: Blog design new??? Or did you do that weeks ago????

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

These look great! I'm putting these in the meal plan for next weekf or sure.

Kaye said...

I don't remember where I found this recipe, but I also have made these. You're right that they take a bit longer to prepare, but they are like precut servings that are ready to go! Great tip!

And thanks for visiting my blog for WFMW!

FYI...saw your profile and I'm expecting in June as well! Congrats!

Danielle said...

that looks so yummy girl!! Sorry I have looked at your blog in awhile! Baseball has started up and I am so busy!! Hope you are doing well!!

Shelley a.k.a. Momma said...

Those look great and sound like they would be fairly easy...I have never heard of lasagna rolls! Thanks for the idea, and thanks for letting me know you stopped by my blog today!!

Brandi said...

These look so yummy!! I will have to try them for my family! Thanks for sharing and for visiting my site! I, too, saw that episode of Jon and Kate! I smiled when I saw it, b/c I was already doing that! :o) A pizza cutter is a good thing!

God Bless!

mub said...

These look much better than when I attempted to make lasagna rolls a few months ago! The noodles I can find here are are shorter and flat and I think for them to work the long skinny lasagna noodles work better.

Pink & Green Mama said...

Thanks for sharing, I always make frozen dinners for my pregnant mommy friends. I'll have to add this one to my arsenal!