Thursday, March 5, 2009

Gone Crazy

When I first entered motherhood all I heard was "the first year is the hardest. It'll get easier after that." I seriously am contemplating whether that statement holds any truth to it. In the past few weeks I feel like Kaiden has gotten busier, more "emotional" and adventurous causing me to seriously think that we must be a little crazy to add another child to the mix so soon.

In the past few days Kaiden has really gotten into climbing. On many occations I have turned around only to gasp in fear as I watch him standing on the coffee table, running from side to side on the couch or jumping on the ottoman. I have kissed more boo-boos in the past couple of days than I ever thought imaginable. Yesterday, I looked outside to find that he had pushed my laundry basket out the sliding glass door that leads to our back yard and so neatly piled my clothing on the porch (thankyouverymuch) while he continued to push the basket around the yard. I am tired of retrieving dog food from my son's mouth which he happens to "taste test" several times a day. My dog has now grown to astronomical weights for a Chihuahua because all the food that Kaiden is supposed to eat gets fed to Paco by our generous and giving son. I have cleaned up bits of toilet paper from the floor that he has picked off the roll or papers that he has pulled out of my drawers. I have wiped up water off the floor from him splashing in the dog bowl and my voice is hoarse from yelling "Kaiden, please come back in here" or "No, we don't _____ (fill in the blank)." Will it ever end cause quite frankly, I'm exhausted.

With all that said, I really am thinking that this is by far the most enjoyable time that we have had in the past 17 months. It is fun to watch Kaiden learn and discover something new everyday. He has really taken to the playground and begun to climb the stairs and brave the sliding board. He has become so loving and wants to kiss and hug Mommy, Daddy and Paco all that he can. He has finally mastered drinking from a straw and juice boxes have now become the coolest thing ever. He is really starting to "communicate" better with us and understands simple commands like, "go outside," "get your shoes," "turn around," "close the door," "where's your truck?" and "do you want some water?" Bath time has felt more like a trip at the local water park then a quick dip in the bathtub. The small things that I forget to stop and notice anymore I have rediscovered. Flowers, bugs, carpet fuzz, sprinklers, rocks and sand are all on the list of "Wow, buddy, that is really cool, isn't it?"

So where am I going with this all? Frankly I am not quite sure. All I know is that most days I'm exhausted, annoyed, impatient and Kaiden is driving me crazy more and more everyday...and I love every second of it. Well, maybe not the times that he throws himself on the floor in a fit because he is hungry or tired, but you get the point. I get sad to see him growing up so fast and often wonder where the time has gone. I look forward to each day and want to hold on to the memories because I know that one day I'll look back and realize 10 years has gone by in the blink of an eye. I am blessed. I love my job.

On another note, it's my birthday today and I deserve a break. So I'm turning off my phone and every chance I get I'm putting my feet up and enjoying my milk and cookies. And in case you were wondering, yes, I am 29. Again.

6 comments:

Dorsey said...

Happy birthday!! You don't look a day over 27!!

chandy said...

Happy Birthday! (This is the year that I will also turn 29 again...I've enjoyed it so much that I'd like a do-over ;)

And, it sounds like you are the proud mommy of a perfectly normal and healthy little boy! It's quite impressive seeing the things their little minds come up with, huh?

As far as having two close in age...it will be a bit tough for a while. But soon (VERY soon!) it will be SOOOO incredibly easy. I don't actually have to come up with ways to 'entertain' my kids...they just play and play and play together, for hours on end. I can just sit back and watch and enjoy the ride. Having kids close enough in age to be best friends is the coolest thing ever. You won't regret it for a second!

MOM said...

It's pretty bad when you have to resort to wishing your daughter Happy B-day on her blog site...
but I'll track you down any way I can on your very special day.
It is so rewarding to hear everything you say pertaining to enjoying motherhood & loving your full time job. I know you "get it" now all the times I would brag & talk about how much I loved my kids. And the worry that goes along w/being a Mom...it all makes sense now, huh??!! As Chandy said
there's nothing better than having 2 children close in age, growing up together & being best friends.
I always will be proud of you, Trixie Leigh...Love, Mom

Melissa Darby said...

I turned 29 again this year too and it sucked. I found grey hair too!

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

Happy Birthday! I had Ryan on a great schedule his first year and he was a late walker, so other than the first few sleep-less months, I thought year 1 was cake.

Then he had a birthday. Boys are seriously SO busy. I was already pregnant with #2, too, when Ryan started getting into everything. It IS exhausting. The thing I'm figuring out is...it never truly gets "easier." It just gets different. And it's all in what YOU consider "easy."

My kids play together all the time like Chandy's (they're about the same ages) and it's GREAT...until someone gets selfish and starts freaking out. Again, not always better, just different. Soon I'll have them in school and it will be homework, soccer practice and endless birthday parties.

I'm tellin' ya...I don't think it ends until they're married. Now if that doesn't encourage you on your birthday, I don't know WHAT will! :)

Katie said...

Happy Birthday!!! Later this year, I'll be 29 for the 4th time.
Whoever told you parenting is hardest in the first year is a liar, lol! Yeah, eventually they can dress and feed themselves, do chores, but then they TALK BACk with the attitude of a badger on crack.