Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Day To Myself

Shhh....do you hear that?

No? Listen closer.

Now do you hear it?

That, my friends, is the brilliant sound of silence.

And you know what goes along with that brilliance?

Sanity.

Ahhhh. I love that sound.

Today I took my little boy to his first trial day of day care. Hubs and I thought it might be worth enrolling him once a week or once every other week for a 1/2-full day. This might be a good opportunity not only for me to have some "alone time" and get some napping, blogging, Internet searching and uninterrupted TV watching done much needed household chores accomplished that have been hovering on my "to do" list for months now, as well as getting Kaiden exposed to a environment with other little kids with plenty of learning opportunities.

I have been dreading this day for a week now. Ever since we did a visit to the day care and we decided today we would take them up on their offer for a free trial day I have been anxious. Will he nap there? Will he eat okay? Will he catch every germ in that place and be sick for weeks afterward? Will he act up or be a good little boy with the other kiddos? But when I dropped him off this morning and he headed straight for the plastic rocking horse and didn't even flinch at the fact that mommy was walking out the door I feel a whole lot better. I won't mention that despite my outward "tough mommy" appearance while in the day care, I did shed a few tears as I drove away.

It's simply amazing to me what I can actually get accomplished without a toddler getting into everything around this place. In the span of 4 hours I have already made a leisurely trip to the OB, stopped for a decaf mocha latte at Starbucks, washed 2 loads of laundry, folded 3 loads of laundry, vacuumed the entire house, mopped the kitchen floor, hung up some new baby outfits in the nursery, put away and organized Kaiden's toys in his room and checked my email. Whew. That's a weeks worth of tasks all crammed into 4 measly hours. And I still have 3 hours all to myself to finish making our bed with new sheets, clean and mop the bathroom floors and, of course, sit on my butt to watch a little Dr Phil and Oprah. Man, I forgot that I could actually get so excited about cleaning and organizing!

On a side note, I have the pleasant joy of visiting my OB once a week now. At these appointments she has begun to check my cervix each time. From one mom to another, is there anything more uncomfortable than getting your cervix checked? I mean, come on?!?! I feel like saying to her, "Uh, and while you're up there, can you check to see if my sinuses are clear?" Good gracious, batman.

Well, I best be off and finish my cleaning. Then I am going to sit back and admire my work for all of about 5 minutes. Cause once the troops get home, that's about as long as it will stay so clean.

Toodles!

3 comments:

Melissa Darby said...

Holy cow, that sounds like heaven to me. Reagan goes to Mom's Day Out once a week, but I still have the baby, so it is not as relaxing as it once was. Next year, Reagan goes to preschool and Morgan will go to Mom's Day Out, I can hardly wait!

chandy said...

check your sinuses...ha!

I remember the rather humbling, yet totally encouraging feeling, of picking up my daughter from her first day of day care and she was mad because she didn't want to go home...

Katie said...

Gotta love the day care breaks!!! My oldest goes 2 days a week and my youngest goes 1 day. But that ONE day they are both out of the house... ahhhh... serenity!!! :) So did you check the foil box??? :)