Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Trip To The Dentist

Today was Kaiden's first dentist appointment. I know what your all thinking. I'm crazy for taking him this soon, right? Well, actually, when I called to find out when you should start taking kiddos to the dentist they told me the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that they start by the time they are one. I thought that she was the crazy one at first by telling me that, but I looked it up online and there it was. I am actually really glad that we started this early.

I have been brushing his teeth (or making my best attempt) twice a day since Kaiden first started getting teeth, so I thought that we were ahead of the game already. I figured that he wouldn't mind too much someone poking and prodding around. He should be used to it, right? Of course Kaiden screamed when they came at him with that electric toothbrush and when the doctor took his instruments and held his mouth open to look all around. Better luck next time, I guess. At least he is getting used to the whole dental experience. I am afraid it doesn't get any better than this, there buddy. 30 years later, I still loathe going to the dentist. But, whatever.

I had some concerns about Kaiden's teeth since he is a thumb sucker. He basically decided at 4-6 month that he didn't like his binky anymore and moved to sucking his thumb. His front tooth looks like it is starting to stick out a bit and I hope that the thumb sucking wasn't making it worse. The doctor assured me that he wasn't concerned at this point and that really we need to get him to stop sucking his thumb by the time he is 3. Another challenge I am not ready to tackle quite yet. So, we'll give that a little more time.

Also, since we have an R.O. system in our house, I was concerned that he wasn't getting enough fluoride. He said that fluoride is more to help the second teeth that are forming and that will eventually come in and didn't want to let that slide without proper care. So the doc prescribed some fluoride drops that we are to add to his water once a day to combat that problem. Simple solution.

I did want to capture this on camera, but with us running out of the house at record speed, I forgot the camera. Oh, well. I'll just get it when we go back in 6 months and pretend that it was his first time.

6 comments:

Debra said...

Tracey,

Good to hear from you, my friend! I think it's great you took him to the dentist so young. I'm happy for you and your Eagles! You go, girl!

Hope you are doing well. Hugs to you!

Grandma said...

I would have loved to seen a picture of that visit dear....
I hope the dentist is a little playful before coming at him with those scarey looking instruments!
Imagine what Kaiden must have been thinking...if it's traumatic, he'll never trust him or any doctor poking & prodding him. Just looking out for my little scooby dooby do.....

Susan said...

Brushing teeth is like PULLING TEETH when they get older. What the hell??? But good for you - I totally took mine early too. And USE THE DROPS. We moved to NJ with our second as an infant and had NO CLUE we didn't have flouride in our water - she had 2 front cavities and had to cap them. Can you say DEVESTATED MOTHER??? Anyway, we got through it and all has been perfect since. Good luck!

Danielle said...

I remember my Caiden's 1st dentist app. The dentist I took him too had a HUGE tooth as a seat! I took so many pictures of him sitting on that tooth!! You are a great mom and its good to know you are concerned about his well being!!

Brittney said...

I think it's important to take them early. One of mine had his first cavity at age two!

Good for you!

Corey~living and loving said...

Good for you for taking him in. :) My Sugar has been since she was 18 months. I am surprised to hear that they tried to do and actual cleaning so young. Sugar hasn't had one of those yet, and she just turned 4.

I'm visiting from SITS. Have a great day!