Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Banana Bread

Now since I am going to share this secret family recipe with you all, let's just say that you owe me one. This, for real, is the best dang Banana Bread recipe this side of the Mississippi. And now that I think about it since my Mom lives on that side of the Mississippi and makes this recipe too, it technically is the best dang recipe on that side as well.

But anyways, tonight I have organized a little "cookie exchange" with some Hot Mamas from my Mom's group. Basically it's an excuse to get out of the house by ourselves while we leave the daddies in charge of the kiddos so we can talk about girl stuff, eat cookies and drink sinful holiday coffee. Does it get any better than that?

The way a cookie exchange works (we do it every year at my book club too) is that each person makes their favorite cookie, bar, or brownie recipe. Then they make a little sample bag of 3-4 cookies in each and attach the recipe to the bag. That way each person that comes to the exchange gets a little sample of each others creations to take home with the recipe. I am sort of breaking my own rules, and this year instead of making cookies to exchange, I am going to bake some little Banana Bread loaves to give to everyone. Mmmmm Mmmmm. Aaaannnndddd, I thought since I am going to be baking this afternoon, I would also share the recipe with all my loyal readers. Consider yourselves lucky.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup shortening (I didn't say that it was healthy-but I have substituted applesauce for this in the past and it works. Just not as well.)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 6 Tbsp milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Optional:

  • Walnuts
  • Chocolate chips

Directions:

Put all in ingredients in a bowl and beat 3 minutes. Pour into a greased bread pan spreading batter very high on the sides and low in the center. Bake at 350 degrees 1 hour or until done in the center.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Ok, now that sounds yummy! I just might have to try it! Blessings!

Katie said...

I am going to a cookie exchange tonight as well :) I've never been before and now I'm kinda excited! White chocolate cranberry cookies are my thing this year.
I LOVE banana bread. We always have to make the vegan kind (no eggs, butter or milk) because of Connor's allergies, but this recipe sounds heavenly.

Just me said...

Oooh! That sounds really good! I'm adding that to my recipe box! Thank you Tracey:)

You had me laughing about "This side of the Mississippi, and that side of the Mississippi" ;) LOL Too funny!

I really like the idea of the cookie exchange! I've never heard of that before.

Susan said...

I am seriously going to try this! And that babyastology thing to the side of your blog is awesome!!

Danielle said...

sounds yum!!! I must try it!! I love banana bread espiecally with a cup of coffee!!