Monday, November 10, 2008

Sleepless Nights

Have I ever mentioned that I haven't gotten a good nights sleep in the past three and a half years? Well, if not, then I am mentioning it now. Cause I haven't. And, frankly, it's getting on my nerves.

When we moved into our house in May of 2005 we bought a new mattress. It is a nice pillow top fluffy thing that we thought, at the time, was the next best thing since sliced bread. We even got it on sale. We soon found out that we were wrong. Ever since then we have complained every single morning how we didn't sleep well the night before. Again.

We have contemplated many times buying a new mattress. We have even purchased a Tempur-Pedic mattress only to call them back within the 36 hour grace period to cancel the order. At those prices we are just scared of hating it and then being stuck with thousands of dollars of "store credit" to a mattress store. Minus the 20% "restocking" fee that they charge. It's highway robbery, I tell ya. We have also considered the Sleep Number bed, as suggested by a friend, that has slept fabulous on it for the past 5 years. Again, do we want to shell out the $2600 for one that we are "hoping" will do the trick?

So last week, upon the suggestion of my Costco Queen mother, we went to Costco and bought a Tempur-Pedic type mattress topper. Three inches of pure foam heaven for $180.00. I thought that we had found the answer to our sleep deprived prayers for a fraction of the cost of a new mattress. Three nights later and not a wink of sleep longer I am still looking for an answer.

I will say that I slept slightly better the first two nights. Not as much tossing and turning from my hips and legs going numb after laying in one position for 10 minutes. But here's the problem. When you put that thing on top of a pillow top it makes it too cushy that now, instead of my hips being the problem, my whole body was out of alignment and then I would wake up with a backache from not being fully supported. So, last night we did what all logical people would do. We flipped the mattress over to the hard surface and put the topper on it that way. Needless to say, after 30 minutes, I grabbed my pillows and headed to the spare bedroom for a night of tossing and turning on that hard mattress.

So, at this point I am sick and tired. Sick and tired of being sick and tired. I just want to get a good night's sleep without tossing and turning and turning and tossing. Is that too much to ask? I told hubs that we just have to bite the bullet and pay the money for a new mattress. And after a trip (our 10th trip, I'm pretty sure) to the Sleep Number store yesterday, I think that this is the way to go. That way hubs can have his sleep number and I can have mine. If we try it for 30 days and hate it, we can send it back without a "restocking fee" and only be out the shipping costs of about $100.00.

So, hopefully this will be an answer to out sleepless night prayers. Cause Mama needs some sleep. And when Mama ain't happy and rested ain't nobody happy! Stay tuned to find out if we finally bite the bullet and just buy one.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Hope you find a good one. Not sleeping when you have little kids sucks!!

The best bed I have ever slept on was the weekend we stayed at the Biltmore. Have the Hubby take you to spend a weekend there to try out their beds?? :)

liz said...

The best bed I've ever slept on is the one when I'm alone!!!!

I've become a midnight nomad; leaving our bed for any couch or spare bed that will have me. . .

Besides, doesn't pregnancy serve the purpose of preparing you for the lack of sleep you experience after the baby is born?

Yo Mama said...

I'm so disappointed the Costco tempur pedic topper didn't help you both....do what you have to do, cause you definitely need to start "storing up" some sleep!
(and don't get sick from lack of sleep like you used to as a child)!

Wishing you pleasant dreams T-luv!

georgie said...

I so hope you find the sweet dreams you have been dreamin of....I have an entire issue with this/beds but thats another post not a comment....stoppin by from SITS to sat HI!

Susan said...

I can't imagine not sleeping well for that long...I drank coffee this past Friday and had insomnia until 1am and thought I would go stir crazy. I am routing for you!!!

Just me said...

I'm sorry to hear you're not getting much sleep. That's a bummer!

I hope the sleep number bed works for you. It sounds wonderful!