Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Total Wine

Have you heard of this place called Total Wine? Do you have one in your city? If not, I would strongly encourage you to write to your state Representative and try to get it passed that all states must have a Total Wine in their state.

This place is an alcoholics paradise. For real. A neighbor of ours told us about it a couple months ago and we have been meaning to check it out. On our Friday night date night hubs and I just happen to pass one at Desert Ridge Marketplace. If you live in Phoenix, you know where I am talking about. We went in and stood there in awe. This place is huge. It's like a Costco warehouse filled with wine. Okay maybe I am exaggerating a little, but still, it's huge. They also have your vodkas, whiskeys, rums, beers, etc. too, but man, the amount of wine they have is amazing. Now if you actually know something about wine and aren't like me who picks up a bottle because (a) the bottle looks really cool, (b) the price is cheap or (c) you think that is the kind you had a few years ago at a restaurant and have been trying to find it again ever since, then this is the place for you. They were even doing a wine sampling that night. For a penny you could try as much wine as you wanted. I am pretty sure the men next to us were there for a free happy hour. But there was only one small problem.

I can't drink.

I know, I know. Some doctors now say that you can enjoy a glass of wine every once-in-a-while while you are pregnant. I even know people that have enjoyed a few here and there and their kids are fine. But me, I am so paranoid that I would take one sip and my kid would come out looking like this:

There was even a time when I was pregnant with Kaiden that I ordered a Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri and only drank a few sips because I was convinced that the bartender spiked my drink.

So in the meantime, when hubs is mean and drinks right in front of me when he knows that all I want to do is relax and have a cocktail enjoys a nice cold beer or glass of wine I ask him if I can smell it. Yep, I have been reduced to "smelling" his beverages in hopes of catching a buzz. Meanwhile, I order something lame like a Sprite and cranberry in the hopes that I may trick myself into believing that it's got some alcohol in it.

So go check it out. You won't be sorry. And if you have any mocktail recipes for ole preggo over here, don't be afraid to share. Otherwise, I'll just smell your drink.

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Again, you crack me up! I love wine, but Jeff has never really liked any alcohol. So when I was pregnant w/ Sweet Pea, he would have a glass for me, while I would inhale the delightful goodness and have one - just one, teeny-tiny little sip. He did this for me even though the wine did nothing for him. What a guy. Cheers!

Couzin Trish said...

I tasted beer last week... it tasted gross. Wine on the other hand is tough- the cheap stuff smell like the most delicious grape juice!

We've been dry at the house since we found out but I know what you mean.

The thing that has been doing it for me has been fancy juices (like odwalla or tropicana pure blends) and seltzer. Smoothies with fro-yo and sherbert also do the trick.

Katie said...

We have TWO! Both within 20 minutes of my house. North Carolinians are a bunch of drunks. I've sniffed a few drink too, lol.

chandy said...

Mmmmm....I love Total Wine. And going to their tastings is like a date night for 2 cents!

Melissa Darby said...

That was so me, when my husband would open a beer I would smell it! And you're right Total Wine is awesome!!!

Danielle said...

You are doing the right thing girl!! I know its hard, but it will be worth it in the end!! I quit smoking 5 months before I became pregnant with Caiden, it was hard but I stuck too it! The main thing is right now that your baby is born healthy, after birth, you can have many many glasses of wine!! Don't worry, I am drinking enough for the both of us!! LOL

Susan said...

Ok, this wine lover is now stalking Total Wine websites. I feel I am deprived of a life necessity now knowing this place exists and exists in absolute no close proximity to ME. And by the way, that post was hysterical! I'm still laughing!!!

NeverADullMoment said...

I do have one of these stores and I love it! I live in VA and they don't sell rum, vodka etc in this store (we have the ABC rule). But they do have every kind of wine and beer you could want. My mom lives in Glendale and I actually went to school in Glendale when i was younger. Thanks for visiting my blog on my Sits feature day! Come see me again some time!