Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thankful Thursday-Happy 1st Birthday, Kaiden!



Dear Kaiden,

It has been an amazing year and I can't believe how quickly it has all gone by! Bound and determined, a year ago, you made your way into this big, bad world. Leaving the comforts of my belly for the sterile surroundings of the incubator where you would spend the next six weeks growing bigger and stronger before we could bring you home. It was a stressful time for Daddy and I as we made our daily trips to the hospital to hold you and comfort you before we would have to come home. Without you. But for however brief those visits were, I somehow found comfort in knowing that you were in God's hands. That when we weren't there, He was looking over you and, in the end, it would all be okay.

I still remember that wonderful day that we finally got to bring you home from the hospital. We loaded you in your car seat and cautiously drove the freeways to our home. Your new home. When we got there, Daddy and I just looked at each other as if to say, "What do we do now?" Unfortunately, you didn't come with an instruction manual but we soon started to figured it all out, through trial and error and a whole lot of prayer.

Since then it has been an amazing roller coaster ride. We have enjoyed watching you grow, change and discover the world around you. I remember your first smile, your first laugh, the first time you slept through the night (cause I sure didn't!), the first time you rolled over, the first time you ate "real" food, the first time you crawled. I remember the first time you said "Mama." And even though you were looking at the dog when you said it, I knew that you really were saying it to me!

As you turn 1 today I find myself experiencing a mix of emotions. I have slight feelings of sadness. Sadness that a whole year has gone by in a blink of an eye, wishing that I could have just one of those days back. Happiness about the immense joy that you have brought me each and every day. And feelings of pure excitement as I look towards the future. Hopeful of the person that you will become through our guidance.

I thank God every day for giving you to me. For trusting me as your mother to help teach you and love you. I thank God for giving me a husband, and you a father, that will provide and protect you and teach you over the years what it means to be caring, compassionate, hard working and teach you how to be a leader of your family that you will someday have. I thank God for your health. Even though you had a rough start, you were a fighter and have been amazing us all along by your utter determination. I couldn't be any prouder to have you as my son.

I love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.

Happy 1st birthday, my precious baby boy!

Hugs, kisses and oogles of love,
Mommy


22 comments:

Debra said...

Tracey,

That is such a great book! It was given to me when I had Josh and I still can't read it without crying. You truly have written a great TT post here! I loved it and I love your thankful heart!

Blessings to you sweet sister!

Couzin Trish said...

Many many happy wishes coming from the DC metro couzins! So proud of such a beautiful family! Can't believe how fast a year goes by. Got a little choked up. Kaiden is so lucky to be so very loved.

Hugs,
Couzin Trish

P.S. LOVE the tiger from G-mom and G-pop!

Jerralea said...

Awesome touching TT post! Happy Birthday to Kaiden! God has really blessed your family.

Tammy W said...

Isn't being a mom the absolute BEST blessing!!!

Amy said...

Oogles of cuteness, ya mean!! :)

Nice to meet ya! :)

Denise said...

Happy Birthday to your precious one.

newlyweds said...

What a beautiful post it brought tears to my eyes. Happy Birthday to Kaiden, he is precious!

Amy said...

O my goodness!! What a beautiful and handsome boy! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my page! Loved reading your letter to your sweet treasure! Amazing...simply amazing!

Melanie said...

Beatiful post on your little guy! Happy Birthday, Kaiden!

Blessed One said...

Tracey, thank you for sharing this tender letter to Kaiden. You've truly brought tears to my eyes. You've so eloquently captured and expressed exactly what I feel for Reagan. It is hard to believe it's been a whole year since I first got to meet and hold her. It is impossible to imagine my life without her. This is a far beyond beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY, KAIDEN!

Debbie said...

What a beautiful little boy...happy birthday Kaiden!

Shabby Olde Potting Shed said...

Happy Birthday Kaiden!
I loved that book too... especially the momma driving across town and slinking upstairs to hold her manchild heheehoaoaoao TOO CUTE... but then I cry at thee end.:(
Blessings and happy birthdays!
Lea

He And Me + 3 said...

I wrote my first born a letter on her first birthday too. So special. I love that book too! Great post! Happy Birthday!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Oh my goodness, he is so precious. That smile is heart-melting. What a blessing. My daughter is 16 months. I still can't believe that she is over a year old. What a blessing children are.

Denise said...

What a handsome little guy! Happy Birthday! Truly, you have much - so much - to be thankful for! Thanks for sharing!

Notwifezilla said...

Happy Birthday Kaiden! May the next year be as fun filled and enjoyable for you and your family as this one!

Cheryl said...

Tracey,

What a year you guys have had. Kaiden is so precious! Praying for many many more years of happiness!

Blessings!
Cheryl

Katie said...

What a beautiful letter :) Happy Birthday to your little guy. It certainly does go by in a blink.

Lori @ Front Porch Legacy said...

Aaaawwwhhh! Kaiden is absolutely perfectly adorable. Happy 1st Birthday!!

Tiffany Stuart said...

Oh, what a sweet tribute to Kaiden. Happy Birthday, buddy!

Thank you for visiting my blog yesterday. I grew up in Phoenix, so it was fun to read you live there now. It sure has changed. But one thing that hasn't changed is the heat.

Enjoy!

Susan said...

Oh, he's such a cutie, Happy Birthday sweet boy!!

Thanks for stopping by the other day, so nice to meet you!

Tiffanie said...

Beautiful post! Kaiden is so adorable! They really grow up so fast. My brother was pointing out to me the other day how he can't believe I have a six year old... neither can I.

Happy birthday to your little-big guy!