Friday, October 24, 2008

Stuffed Peppers

I had never eaten a stuffed pepper until this past February when I decided to make them for hubs on our anniversary. He loves stuffed peppers and I had always wanted to try them, so I found this recipe. I remembered I had it in my recipe collection on Wednesday and decided to pull it out again and give it another go. Super easy and pretty good, if I do say so myself. It's one of those, "can't mess this up no matter what you throw in there" type of recipes.

Ingredients:
  • 4 med bell peppers. Color doesn't matter, although I prefer the red ones.
  • 1 lb ground beef, browned over medium heat.
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2-1 cup rice, cooked
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • Shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place rice in a saucepan and cook according to directions.
  3. Cut off tops of peppers, remove membranes and boil for 3 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
  4. In a skillet, brown beef with onions (and I added chopped up the tops of the peppers and threw that in too).
  5. Place peppers hollowed sides facing up in a baking dish.
  6. In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, can of tomato sauce Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper together. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
  7. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the peppers are tender, cheese is melted and slightly browned.
  8. Enjoy!

P.S. Hubs said that his mother used to throw in peas or corn into the meat mixture as well. I am sure you can get very creative!

7 comments:

Debra said...

Tracey,

This is one of our favorites too! I make it with yellow rice. Yum!

((hugs)) & blessings to you!

Tracy said...

Mmm, sounds good. I love that you post these delicious, and more importantly easy, recipes. Great job! Blessings!

Lori @ Front Porch Legacy said...

I'll have to give these a try. I've never eaten a stuffed pepper out of fear for the impending heartburn!

TJACKwellness.com said...

Stuffed peppers are really good on the grill during the warmer months too!

Katie said...

YUM! Those look so good.

Just me said...

Yum! I've never had a stuffed pepper before, and these look really good and easy to make! Thank you for the recipe!

Susan said...

These look awesome - My mom made these all the time, and now I know what I'm making for dinner tonight. And PS...great pic of you and your husband on the sidebar! And PSS...I also HATE unloading the dishwasher as well - WHY, WHY, WHY is that??? It's just like folding the clothes from the dryer, making piles for everyone in the family, but just watching the piles grow on the dryer - WHY won't I just finish the process and take them upstairs where they belong??