Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thankful Thursday


Hubs and I have been tuning in to the Republican National Convention this week and have enjoyed some really great, dynamic speeches. I have been enlightened and deeply touched in ways that I never thought were possible. I was especially touched by a speech delivered by Fred Thompson on Tuesday night. I always knew that John McCain is a former POW, but I never really sat and thought about what that truly meant for him and others like him. The pain and torture that they had to endure each and every day. Through this speech on Tuesday night, and reiterated by Mike Huckabee on Wednesday night, they illustrated the horrific torture that John McCain endured for 5 ½ years. Horrific. The countless beatings, broken bones, hunger, filthy conditions and inhumane “medical treatment.”

For 5 ½ years.

It is troubling to think what those men selflessly endured as service to their country. It reminds me that outside of my “cushy” world that I live in there are people that live a beaten and battered existence every day. Where they aren’t free to choose their religion, their clothing, their spouses even. People live in countries where disease runs rampant and simple things like food, shelter and clothing are a luxury. It is only by the Grace of God and the selfless acts of our service men and women that I wake up each day in a bed, with a roof over my head, food in the refrigerator, a car to get me around and freedom. The freedom to choose which religion I follow. The freedom to choose the person I want to lead our country. The freedom to say whatever I want without persecution. The freedom to live without fear.

For that, I am truly thankful.

10 comments:

gail said...

great thankful list! i was very touched by fred thompsons speech too. it had just enough detail to really bring it home. i too am thankful for all our service men and women as they fight to protect our freedoms.

God bless!

Front Porch Legacy said...

I am thankful that God placed my soul in the body of an American woman who delivered me on American soil!

Happy Thankful Thursday!

Mommy Magee said...

God is great! Thanks for reminding me of what a neat place He has allowed me to live in.

Happy Thursday!!!

Blessed One said...

Amen and Amen! We really do have a lot to be thankful for, things that are easy to take for granted. Thank you for posting this particular "Thankful" post!

Denise said...

Bless your thankful heart.

Marsha said...

Wonderful post! Yes, men like him are truly American heroes. They know how to count the cost.

Have a blessed weekend.

chandy said...

oooh...good one. Stuff like this always makes me a bit teary.

Trish said...

I couldn't agree more... especially after last night's speech!

Colleen said...

I fully agree!!!

Elizabeth Channel said...

I agree! It just reminds me how much I have to be thankful for...particularly when I start having my own little pity party!

Thanks for sharing!