Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Flashbacks

Did you hear that the 80's fashions are coming back in style? Well, I just got the memo (probably a few months late) and I thought that I would share this, umm, shall we say, tragic news.

Last week while I was out blog stalking hopping I stumbled across Big Mama's Fashion Friday post. This clearly indicates the fashion trends making their way back to the *cough* good 'ole days of the 80's, where I spent a better part of my childhood in a cloud of Aqua Net that clearly made me lose all brain function. I am pretty sure that wearing too tight spandex, too big sweaters and too blue eyeliner was bad the first time, but apparently we want our younger generation to experience fluorescents, flowers, plaids and ankle boots the way we all did. Are the fashion designers that hard up for new fashion trends that they decided to bring back the 80's? Ummmm, I think I will skip it this go around for sure. Thanks for asking.

Despite my aversion to the fashions of the 80's I do have some really great memories of that decade. So enjoy a trek back through time with me.

You know you were a child of the 80's if:
  • You practiced getting in and out of your car through the windows.
  • Your first Walkman weighed 10 pounds and was the size of a brick.
  • You wore L.A. Gear tennis shoes.
  • You could "see better" with sunglasses that had paint splattered all over the lenses.
  • You wore lace gloves with the fingers cut off, bangle bracelets up to your elbows, bright red Reebok high tops and parachute pants to a school dance.
  • You watched 'Star Search' on a regular basis.
  • Your bangs were teased perfectly to 7 inches above the rest of your hair.
  • You wore a bandanna tied around your leg and/or a ponytail off-center on the side of your head.
  • You had the tendency to turn up the collar of your polo shirts.
  • You would never go out for a night on the town without frosted blue eyeshadow and feathered bangs.
  • Everything in your wardrobe was either pastel or fluorescent.
  • People were constantly gagging you with spoons.
  • You thought banana clips were a godsend.
  • You wore Wet n' Wild makeup.
  • You were pretty sure the coolest shirt you ever owned had heat-sensitive color-changing abilities.
  • You wore friendship bracelets made of woven floss.
  • You had snap bracelets.
  • You remember when Pee-Wee wasn't a pervert.
  • You had five pairs of socks on at any given time.
  • You had your scratch-n-sniff sticker collection.
  • You used Lee Press-On Nails.
  • You wore jelly shoes.
  • You remember when you heard that drinking soda and eating Pop Rocks would make your stomach explode.
  • You still argue over who was better: Tiffany or Debbie Gibson

Oh the days...

7 comments:

Blessed One said...

Ok, this is hilarious! Yep, I'm a 80's girl! Had big, permed hair and all (though I never did tease my bangs like that). And for the record, I still like the banana clip... :)

Of course, this means we still remember when VCR's, microwaves and personal computers came around.

And don't forget classic TV shows like Cosby, Growing Pains, Family Ties, Who's the Boss, etc.

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

Please, NO. I caught a rerun of Saved By The Bell and was DYING. I forgot the details like the oversized t-shirts with the rolled sleeves and the doubled-up two toned socks. I'm seriously frightened by this comeback...

Katie said...

OMG. I LOVED Hypercolor shirts and snap bracelets! They went so well with my MC Hammer pants. :)

Melissa Darby said...

That is hilarious, I can relate to almost all of those! Debbie Gibson was totally better

Delighted Scribbler said...

The 80's were awesome. Then again, I think that has more to do with being young than with our insane fashion statments ;-P

Susan said...

Hysterical list - just organized our 20 year reunion (yikes - 1988 graduate??) The funniest part of the night was comparing hairstyles from our senior pic nametags to hairstyles people had today. I had to cut half of most girls' hair off for the picture to even fit in the plastic nametag sleeve!!

PS...still miss my banana clips!!

Elizabeth Channel said...

Banana clips *are* cool.

Right?

I mean I wore them in the 80s.

And I wear them now.