Monday, August 18, 2008

Sunday Scare

Before I get to this post I have to start by telling you that majority of our Sunday actually was a really great day. Unfortunately, at the end of the day we had quite a scare. In order to get the whole story I will need to start with the good about our outing before getting to the ugly. So here we go, this may be a long one.

Hubs and I were itching to get out of the heat yesterday and were racking our brain for a short day trip up north. We thought about going to Slide Rock in Sedona but when we called they said that we would not be able to go in the water to swim because of the high bacteria levels. The park ranger did tell us about other areas in Oak Creek Canyon, however, that were not affected that we could visit instead. At this point it was getting later in the morning and we were playing the "should we, shouldn't we" game. Finally, we decided to go. We knew that even if we were only there for a couple hours it would be worth it to escape this heat. So, I put Kaiden down for a morning nap and when he got up at 11:30 we hit the road.

It's a pretty short trip to Sedona from our home...about an hour and 15-30 minutes. We arrived at one of the picnic areas that the guy had recommended to us called Banjo Bill. It was fantastic! The picnic tables were right on the creek and there were many families fishing, swimming and picnicing all around us.

Here are some photos of the day!



Even Paco enjoyed being there!
We wandered our way down the creek a bit where there was a small waterfall that everyone was fishing at. People were pretty successful at catching some small trout, so Chris went back to the car to grab his pole and try his hand at fishing.
Paco, Kaiden and I were sitting in our chair watching everyone fish when Kaiden peed on me! Ahhh, the joys of being a Mommy! Those swim diapers are definitely not meant to be left on for any amount of time, so I told Chris that we were going back to the car so I could change Kaiden and also get into some new clothes myself. (I have learned from being peed on and thrown up on in public places that I never leave the house without a change of clothes for Kaiden and I!) As we were walking back to the car it was starting to thunder and get very dark and dreary. I knew that it would be a matter of time before the rain would start pouring down. I changed Kaiden (and myself) and started to feed him a bottle when Chris and Paco came walking back to the car. At this point it was starting to rain, and it was about 4:15 anyway, so it was perfect timing to pack it up and call it a day. Chris was driving and I was sitting in the back seat with Kaiden (and Paco) as I usually do. As we pulled out of the parking lot we were talking about how glad we were that we decided to come. It really was quite beautiful there and fun to get in the water, get out of the heat and spend some time together as a family.

The rain was starting to come down pretty good at this point and the road that we were on was pretty windy. We were driving through a canyon so basically were driving next to the mountain to our right side which had rocks, trees and bushes covering it. I wasn't paying attention to the road, mostly looking at Kaiden and Paco, when I heard Chris yell. I heard a thud and felt us being jostled around as we drove over something. I screamed, and closed my eyes. Chris brought us to a stop as I yelled, "What the heck just happened?" and looked behind us to see a huge tree lying across the road stopping traffic in both directions. Chris sat there stunned for a second and then asked us if we were okay. He told me that he watched the tree fall, literally, inches from the front of our car. Of course, there was no time for him to stop so we just drove right over it. Convinced that our car was no longer drivable, Chris got out to assess the damage. I thought for sure he was going to say that we had two flat tires, the front is smashed up and we couldn't drive the car anywhere. Since it was raining so hard he couldn't do a full inspection, but when he got back in the car he said, "I can't believe it, but it looks like the car hasn't even been touched." What? Hasn't been touched? But, we just drove over a tree! I mean, we are so lucky that the tree didn't land on top of the car and possibly kill us, but not even any damage to the car? I couldn't believe it! We just wanted to get out of the canyon so Chris decided to get driving so we could find a gas station and take a better look. When we finally got to a station and got out again to look, sure enough, there was no noticeable damage. We made it all the way back to Phoenix without any problems. We were so happy to be home!

As I sit here typing I am shaking. Knowing that had that tree fallen a split second later or if we had been going a mile an hour faster that the tree would have landed right on top of the roof of our car. Who knows if we would have been okay. I mean it was a tree! A large, heavy tree! Upon further inspection at the house out of the rain we did notice a few dings on the hood of the car and a piece underneath that was flapping around. But it is all so minor compared to what really could have happened. We are just so thankful, and blessed, to have gotten out of that ordeal alive and untouched.

8 comments:

chandy said...

Oh my goodness! That gave me chills! So glad you guys are okay. Praise God!

Kristi said...

I'm so thankful that God protected all of you! It could have been so much worse. Oh, there is no god like our God!

Colleen said...

Wow, that's a really scary story! Thank goodness you're all alright, and you had a great day on top of it!

Hope you have a good start to your week!

Tiffanie said...

Wow! Praise God! Glad you are all OK.

P.S. I think I have a permanent case of "baby brain" too.

Blessed One said...

Wowzers! I'm so glad you and your family are ok! Praise God for His miracles! You'll be telling this praise story for a long time!

Melissa said...

That's amazing! So thankful you were protected!!!

Mr. & Mrs. Fegley said...

Okay... I think there's been enough close calls for now. Glad you are all safe and sound.

P.S. He loves you... said...

And the winds and rain obey HIM...not luck but a Master whose protected!

Nicely posted and a great reminder of what we don't see that we should be thankful for anyways!