Monday, August 11, 2008

Proud Mommy

This weekend we got a visit from our NICP RN that has been monitoring Kaiden's developmental progress since he was born. If you have been following with us then I wanted to brag update you all on the latest and greatest. If you are new to my blog and have no idea what the heck I am talking about, let me enlighten you.

Kaiden, for whatever reason, was in such a hurry to enter this crazy world that my near perfect pregnancy was interrupted when I went into labor at 29 weeks gestation. Thinking that I would only be at the hospital a few hours so they could stop my contractions and send me home, they found I was almost 1 1/2 cm dilated and admitted me on the spot. I spent a week in the hospital on a Magnesium drip (oh the horror of that stuff!) to try and keep him from coming out too early. Little bugger wanted nothing of that so still decided to make his way out at 29 6/7 weeks (so technical, huh?!). So, while I was released two days later to come home, our bundle of joy had to stay in the NICU for an extra 6 weeks. Which, actually, was not too bad considering that the only thing we were waiting on was for him to hurry up and grow. He didn't have any complications, have to come home on a monitor or oxygen so we have felt truly, truly blessed.

So, anyways, back to my bragging updating. With him being born nearly 10 weeks premature he is at risk of missing developmental milestones. So the state provides a RN that visits us every couple months for the first three years of his life to evaluate (and intervene if necessary) his development to make sure that he is on track for developing properly. Even though Kaiden is 10 months old "chronologically" she evaluates him at his “adjusted” age of barely 8 months old. She was so excited about Kaiden and how far he has come. At her last visit Kaiden was barely able to sit on his own. In two months he is now sitting well on his own, crawling EVERYWHERE, transferring to a sitting position from crawling, pulling himself to a standing position, and saying MaMaMaMa/DaDaDaDa (even though he says it when he is looking at the dog!). From her evaluation she determined that with most of his skills he is on track with his chronological age and the other skills he is on track with his adjusted age.

After she left I had all these crazy thoughts running through my mind. Thoughts like, "Oh, he's a genius, I knew it...I bet that he will be walking by the time he is one...speaking complete sentences by the time he is two...he will probably be a child prodigy on the piano, I mean he goes to town on his Fisher Price piano now...he'll be on Oprah, I just know it...for sure he will graduate high school early and probably be a sophomore in college by then with all the extra college credit classes that he can take...maybe he will invent some new gadget or Internet site like the guy that invented Facebook...that will make him millions by the time he is 21, then he can support us!"
Crazy. I know.

But it gets worse.

Hubs and I went to the mall on Sunday to return/exchange a few items that we picked up last week. As we were strolling around the mall I couldn't help but notice all the babies around. There were a zillon of them! After we did our shopping we decided to grab a quick bite to eat. As we were sitting there I turned to hubs and said, "Ya know, we really do have the cutest baby in the world." It was then I realized I was one of "those" moms. The kind of mom that I always said I would never be. You know the type. The one that thinks their kid is the greatest. The one that thinks their kid is the cutest thing to walk the earth. The one that thinks their kid is brilliant. The one that thinks their kid is PERFECT in every way, shape and form. Yep, that's me. The worst part about it is that I can't help myself. I have spent the past 10 months trying to convince myself that I wasn't "that" mom. Apparently to no avail. So if you were wondering if I think my kid is better than yours, I admit it, I do. I have been told it goes with the territory. I guess when all "those" people out there said, "There is no greater love than the love you feel for your child" you were right. Okay Mom, you can say it...."I told you so, I told you so."

Excuse me now. I have to go hose down my son. Apparently in his genius advancements he hasn't learned to keep the food in his mouth instead of all over his face, neck, chest, hands...maybe that means that one day he will be a chef. Yeah, a chef...like one of those in the really high end restaurants...maybe even have his own cooking show on TV...he'll write cook books that will be on the best seller list and...

*Disclosure* Believe me, I think that all babies are cute. For real. All of them. The only difference is that I think that when God got to making Kaiden He decided to sprinkle a little extra dash of “cuteness” on him. I don’t know why He chose Kaiden to get that “experimental” dose, but by golly, it worked!

2 comments:

Blessed One said...

Oh, Tracey, you crack me up! First I had no idea you had a preemie and I am soooo thankful that everything is pretty much ok. Praise God! Second, I would probably think you to be strange and demented if you didn't think he was the cutest! (He is pretty adorable though) Third, of course I think my girl is the cutest baby in the world and if you'd like to see her, check out my GodLinked page at http://www.godlinked.com/profile/blessedone

Kristi said...

I enjoyed your post today. I'm one of those moms too and proud of it! Welcome to the mom club. I know all about that magnesium stuff. Hannah tried to come too early 2 different times. Thankfully, they were able to stop the labor. Your son is the cutest. May God continue to bless him and keep him and cause His face to shine upon him. Blessings to you!