Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mommy Germ-a-phobe

I must admit, ever since Kaiden was born I have become the biggest germ-a-phobe in the world. I have armed myself with hand sanitizer in my purse, in the diaper bag and even on the coffee table in the house. I guess I can somewhat blame it on the nurses while he was in the hospital. They made us wash our hands after we touched anything. Touch the door handle, wash your hands. Touch the cabinet, wash your hands. Touch your purse, wash your hands. Rightfully so. I mean with him being born 10 weeks early we didn't want to take any chances of him getting sick while he was in the NICU. This continued after we brought him home. Again, since he was a preemie and we brought him home during RSV season, it was imperative that we, along with everyone else that touched him, washed our hands. But then I got this strange addiction to analysing everything that we came across. I would think of the door handles on doors to restaurants and even the menus themselves. Think of all the people that touched them! How about shaking hands with about 10 different people around you at church when they inevitably say "Meet a new friend today and welcome those around you." Knowing full well that I just heard the guy behind me hacking up his right lung, but you don't really have a choice. It would be rude to say "Good morning and welcome to church. I can't shake your hand though because I am a germ-a-phobe and you should probably be at home in bed with that cough of yours." But what grosses me out the most, I think, is the handles on shopping carts. Think about it. Day in and day out those things get used about 100 (or more) times a day for years and years and years by people that have had runny noses, didn't wash their hands after using the restroom, etc, etc, etc. But, do you ever see anyone with a can of Lysol or a jar of disinfectant wipes out there wiping them down? No. Gross.
So, now Kaiden is sitting up and he no longer needs to sit in his infant car seat while at the grocery store. I was freaking out at this thought and didn't know what I was going to do. He is now at the stage that he is grabbing everything, germs or no germs. Now I will give it to them, Fry's and Safeway have started leaving the disinfecting wipes out near the carts so that we can wipe down the cart before you touch it. But, I find myself at Walmart (which I go to two or three times a week), Costco and Target without any wipey dos. Yick. So, what did I do? I bought a cart cover! This has to be the BEST invention ever. Surely invented by a germ-a-phobe like me. It eliminates Kaiden (and my hands too) from touching the grimey cart and it also makes that hard cart really comfy. Most of the time Kaiden is lounged back, feet up, enjoying the ride. Problem solved! Although I don't think that I will mention the fact that I still wipe down the cart first with the disinfectant wipe before I put the cover on. What if I touch the cart while accidentally while putting the cover on?
Now I just have to figure out how to handle the other germs in this world...

1 comment:

Katie said...

The picture looks like you're at a restaurant, so you may have already figured this out, but those covers fit inside highchairs, too. It took me until kid #2 to figure that out. DUH!

Greatest...invention...ever. The people who own The Floppy Seat are Christians. The husband of the gal who created it used to be Mike's boss. Cool, huh? If I wouldn't have already had one, they were going to gift us with one. DARN!